Sunday 21 August 2011

Wine Guidance

Are you in love with drinking? For me, yes. I love drinking beer, whisky, and also wine. Every time I get into a wine shop, I always face trouble how to choose one. There are plenty of them available in the store with different types, and different tastes. I could not remember all of them. It would be easy for me if I have someone besides me who is always available to assist me to select my glass. Finally, thanks for today’s technology, I got that person.

According to the article “App in One Hand, Wine Glass in the other” from The New York Times, Bob Tedeschi introduces seven smart phone applications connected with wine stuff; Cor.kz, VintageChart+, Hello Vino, Natalie MacLean Wine Picks&Pairing, Daily Grape, Wine Search ,and Wine Locator. All of them aim to provide users the information they might need to know about wine. Cor.kz is the best all-purpose for serious wine drinkers and collectors. It costs $4 for both Apple and Android. VintageChart+, Hello Vino, and Natalie MacLean Wine Picks&Pairing which are free help users navigate a wine list. For Dairy Grape, Gary Vaynerchuk shares his wine experience via his almost-daily videos. Wine Search which is a new and free application has 500,000 wines selling at various retailers in its database, but its information sorting is still under developing, while Wine-Locator, which costs $1, does a good job on data sorting, but it covers only 18 vineyards.

After I read the article, I download all applications which are free except Wine Search because of its drawback as Bob states. I try all of it, and here is my quick review.

VintageChart+: It provides ranking categorized by country and wine type. (Not my requirement)

Hello Vino: It asks me some questions to help me find my right bottle. (I like it)

Natalie MacLean Wine Picks&Pairing: This app aim to assist users about how to match wine with food. It doesn’t tell the details about the wine. (Good app, I will keep it)

Dairy Grape: This app does not suit me. I don’t like its video. I prefer text.

I finally decide to keep Natalie MacLean Wine Picks&Pairing and Hello Vino as my favorite apps in my phone, and delete the other two.

How about you guys! Any other apps to suggest me?

__________
References
Tedeschi, B. (August 17, 2011). App in One Hand, Wine Glass in the other. The New York Times. Retrieved on August 21, 2011 from http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/technology/personaltech/for-wine-lovers-apps-to-search-pair-and-rate.html?ref=dining

3 comments:

  1. Pear, it's a great post. Just what I need for Sunday afternoon.

    I prefer cognac to whisky, and I never drink beer, but I love wine, too. I guess it's the Italian heritage (my last name is Filicietti). My parents always drank wine with dinner, and on special occasions the children had some, too.

    I did see the title of this article in the NYTimes, but, fascinating as it sounded, I didn't read it. There just isn't time to read everything. Now Pear has thoughtfully blogged it for me, so I don't need to read the article. Actually, I'm so out of date that I don't use apps, but when my current mobile expires, I guess I'll upgrade to something that does, and it's nice to know that there are apps out there to help me manage my drug use. (Like most drugs, I don't think that alcohol is a problem for most users, but I admit that it's certainly a disaster for some users, and it is a drug of addiction which causes enormous harm to families and societies - but these are not good reasons to ban alcohol.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pear, I like you post. I like the functions Apple created. Even though I only know how to use some very basic application as contacts, emails, games,dictionary, I feel it is very convinient. I

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't drink any alcohol but I buy wine for cooking. I love Italian food and Italian recipe need wine both red and white. And also some Japanese menu required wine too.

    Anyways its very useful. Thanks Nong Pear.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.