Wednesday 3 August 2011

Peter's Academic Interests

When I got to high school, I fell in love with science - I was a bit nerdy, but I couldn't help it. I actually sat on the bus going to and from school reading my science text books, and, even weirder to my classmates, books I'd borrowed from teh school and town library. My first area of interest was biology - I was fascinated by how humans and everything else worked, and why they were the way they were. This led to a split interest - when it came to evolution, the obvious questions are why did it happen, and how does it happen? The first leads to philosophy, which is what I ended up majoring in at university, and teh second led first to chemistry, and then to physics, which continues to interest me today. At the same time, I was worried about how well, how solidly, we really knew all those things. Are scientific theories true? What does it even mean to speak of truth? The most solid of all was mathematics - that really did offer proof that it was right, and it is did not seem to depend on anything else, the way physics depends on actual experiments. So, at university, my main areas of study were philosophy and mathematics.

And in philosophy, logic, naturally, was one main area I focussed on, but after a spell, I moved from metaphysics (What is in the world? What sorts of things are there? and so on) to ethics and moral philosophy, which has continued to be something I've read ever since. At the moment I'm reading the latest major work by one of my modern heroes: Ian Dworkin's Justice for Hedgehogs, a very ambitious attempt to ground ethics.
_______

6 comments:

  1. We share the same interest in biology!!! I was a curious kid and really wanted to know how we reproduce!?!?! it's funny to think how did i find out the answers, isnt it? The secrete will still be with me tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Numerous people said that philosophy is very arduous.Do you think that is true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria,
    What did you think of Dworkin last term?

    I sometimes read Plato and John Stuart Mill in AEP classes, but usually at level 6 or higher.

    We probably will read some philosophy this term, but I haven't decided what yet. Would you like to try Plato on justice and moral right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philosophy is quite far away from my field, but after I read your Blog, Peter. I think I should looking for some interesting philo piece. Maybe it gotta expand my world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many people said philosophy is very boring. But I agree with you "that is very interesting". I believe it can change the world. But it very far from my field, so I don't have more knowledge about it. If I have time and opportunity, I want to know more about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many votes for reading philosophy!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.