Saturday 6 August 2011

Technology in future

In the world of computer and technology, many things are changed rapidly from ENIAC, the first computer in the world, to Apple iPad, one of the most recent innovative technologies. Nowadays, I heard about one advanced technology from Microsoft, Kinect. As a computer engineer, after I have read the article about it, I am very interested and want to try it.

In the past, we used only keyboard and computer mouse for typing and clicking in display screen. But now, we can communicate with computers by using speech or gestures. Computer can understand human's voice and gestures via Kinect. Microsoft's chief research and strategy officer said that Kinect is the beginning of a new way of communicating with computers (¶ 2). Moreover, they planned to release an initial software developer's kit for programmers.

I agree with this article partially. Due to performance of computers in this generation, in my opinion, I think that Kinect would be widely used in the future. We can use it in many branches of Computer Science because of its competence. While I studied at university, I worked in many 3D projects. I used only webcams for detecting human's gestures. In order to get the necessary data, I had to control many factors that might affect the system. So using Kinect, which can give an accurate data, in this kind of projects would be convenience. But I think that changing behavior of users is absolutely hard. It is impossible to change it in the short time.




__________
References


Steve Lohr (2011, Feb,22). Microsoft’s Kinect: The New Mouse?. The New York Times. Retrieved August 6, 2011

3 comments:

  1. nice work big.. it's can be true one day, or even cooler. well in the next ten years we are probably communicating with computers through our thoughts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Lek is right - there are already helmets and and otehr products available that read brains to understand (understand?) what the person wants and then act on it.

    The rate of change is amazing.

    When I was born, computers were strange new things that filled buildings and could do very little. When I studied computer science at uni., the computer still filled a large building, but it could do a lot.

    Now, the same power, or rather more, sits on my desk, and my antique mobile has more computer power and memory than the state of the art laptop I bought in 1995.

    My guess goes even further than Lek's - I think that computers will be as intelligent as human beings in the next ten years or so, and then very quickly vastly more intelligent.

    And will such truly intelligent machines deserve human rights? Will they be persons?

    And that reminds me of the new movie that just out: Planet of the Apes. If the apes become, or already are, capable of teh right sort of acts, are they persons that deserve at least some of the same rights as human beings?

    Can we do whatever we want to animals, or are there limits?

    But this response is starting to get away from Big's very thought provoking post, so I'll stop here. And wait for more responses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kinect technology is similar to "Nintendo wii game"? I enjoy my wii so much, fun and can exercise in the same time. According to Big's opinion, so working with this hi-tech program, animators can freely use body motions and movements to create their works, which makes animations become more realistic.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.