Friday 5 August 2011

Smart phone Culture

Technology is one of my academic interests; of course we can’t deny that mobile phone is becoming necessary for everyone around the world. As we can see obviously, Apple's iPhone and Blackberry are Pop culture among adults and teenagers which are not only in Bangkok but also all over big cities. Like in UK, Ofcom's annual Communications Market Report according to the BBC NEWS. “Third of adults 'use smartphone' says Ofcom report” (2011) The research mentioned that people use smart phone related to age and gender.
Nearly one in three adults in the UK now uses a smart phone, according to a report by the telecoms regulator Ofcom. (2011) Apple's iPhone claimed to be number one, but Blackberry still popular among UK teenagers. Number of people use smart phone for internet is increasing. The most famous website which surfs via the Internet on mobile phone is facebook.com. Furthermore, the research document also provides a comprehensive snapshot of the UK's TV, radio, internet and telecommunications consumption. The result is that UK male who are using smart phone more than female a bit. However, in teenagers surveyed, the trend was reversed with girls more than boys who are making up the remaining. In addition, although Apple's iPhone was a favorite device for adults, among teens its popularity was decreased by the Blackberry, it means young people identified preferred brand. Besides, from the survey people confess that they get addicted. Ofcom's study also people’s behavior of using the Internet via home fixed line connections. The most activity is sending and replying email then online banking and watching TV. At last, the report said about online privacy concern problem “Online privacy was a concern for the minority of people surveyed, with worries appearing to grow as people got older. Among 16 to 24-year-olds, 6% said they had concerns about their privacy on the internet. That figure rose to 13% of 55 to 64-year-olds.” (¶ 14-15) Finally, the survey add more information about the type of websites or online services that people are spending their time on such as games, adult sites and media views.
For me, I admit that I’m one of people who addicted smart phone for many reasons. I’m using my smart phone to check emails and internet surf. Every morning when I wake up I need to check my inbox before having breakfast. I don’t know why I just feel like I need to check it before doing something else. Maybe because I have online shop, so I want to know how many people who viewed my page and what are clients’ orders. If anyone interested can go visit at www.brandaza.com, welcome all you guys. Anyways it’s very easy to check it via my blackberry. It’s easy and spends less time than turn on PC. Actually, once I used iPhone which is the first generation from Apple. I found it not stable and low signal in that time. For example; when I was appreciating my music or video via my iPhone if somebody called me every media was going to have a spasm or it happened to be error. It took a couple minutes to be back alive. Now even I realize that Apple solved this and other problems with new generation of iPhone, I still doubt and don’t interested at all because I decided to separate my phone and my media player. Yes, I bough blackberry and iPod instead using only one iPhone. Blackberry is very good for working such as sending and replying email, but it is not well for media player as Apple family product.
Moreover, after I graduated, I decide to work for family’s business because of my sickness reason for couple years ago. So I don’t have a chance to meet friends or new social group. Blackberry helps me, I can chat with the gang 24 hrs per day. Pay less than sending SMS and comfortable. Every social network program can be uploaded to blackberry such as Facebook, Twister, MySpace.. etc I can check my friends movement all the time. Uploading photo and status on social network is becoming a cool trend now.
Playing game online is one of my favorite hobby, but I don’t play on blackberry I play on iPod. Blackberry’s weakness is game application is boring and less than Apple product. In my opinion, Apple applications are variety and also allure and attract children, teenagers and adults. In addition, game application can be made more money not only in cyber business, also real world. For example, Angry bird game, after it get well known there are many products blossom here in Bangkok such as dolls, car accessory, and snack advertisement.
In sum, these days smart phone business is extremely growing. Everyone at every age interested and has willing to pay for them. It can be called the new toy for this era. I presume that smart and hi-tech communication manufactures are entirely increasing in the future.


References
Third of adults 'use smartphone' says Ofcom report (2011, August 3 ). BBC NEWS. Retrieved August 5, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14397101

4 comments:

  1. I don't know why I can't edit my references to be normal size:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golf,
    To edit your references to the normal size, after you cope and paste it in, use the "Remove formatting" tool to clear all the old BBC News formatting.

    Then add any necessary italics, and insert the link.

    I've already done it for this one, but it's a good question to ask because I'm sure that other people will have a similar problem.

    I copy and paste in most of my blog posts, and I always then select the pasted text, and use the "Remove formatting" tool to get rid of any strange formatting from the original source.

    I've already done that for you for this post. I almost never change anything in your posts, but when I sign in with using an admin. account, I can edit everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of the people who still hasn't made the jump to a smart phone, but I am looking very enviously at the nifty phones more of my friends have and what they can do with them.

    The only thing stopping me is the weight. I want a phone that I can comfortably carry in my shirt pocket. If possible, I never carry around a bag, and I don't want to be walking around carrying a phone in my hand all the time, so it has to sit in my shirt pocket.

    I wonder if I would really use all the features, but I suspect if I had it I would certainly use some - like email and other online things.

    I'm waiting for my current phone to die, and then I'll probably upgrade. I hope the smart phones upgrade a bit more and get lighter first!

    But I love technology - my latest toy is the Kindle reader, and I'm so thrilled that I can finally throw away my last paper dictionary. I love dictionaries, and have had a few, including the full Oxford English Dictionary (OED), but it was such a pain using the paper version that I switched immediately when it became available first on CDrom, and then a few years ago in an online version. The online version is vastly better than the 20 volume paper version, and I use it every day, without breaking an arm.

    But I like to read in bed, and my bedside dictionary has been the Concise OED, which is a great dictionary, but heavy, not as heavy as a volume from the OED, but still a pain to use when you're reading a fun novel.

    On my Kindle reader, I have two excellent Oxford dictionaries - the Oxford Dictionary of English (the one I use as the default), and the New Oxford American Dictionary, which is great for checking American versions of words and their use.

    THis comment is in danger of getting excessively long as one idea leads me to another. I think I've moved far enough away from Golf's topic that I should stop now. In fact, it's occurred to me that it might be a good idea to write a new post about dictionaries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I'm the one of those people as well, same group with Peter! I don't use a smart phone. Although I know that it's really useful and convenient but I see many examples of bad habits from my friends using smart phone-especially BB.
    They rarely talk to surrounding friends but they mostly chat with someone who not there. I don't like it! So I don't want to be what I dislike, then I avoid using it. Anyway, I'm thinking about buying iphone5 in the future...but I afraid that I will be what I don't want to be...hard decision!!

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.