Thursday 18 August 2011

Grammatical confusion

Upon a discussion in the class this morning, I have asked a question about how difference between "try + -ing" and "try + to + infinitive" is. Finally, I have found some information about the question which may be beneficial for further understanding in using this verb phrase.

Try + -ing = to attempt to solve a problem by doing something.
Try + to + infinitive = to attempt and fail to do something.

Compare:
I tried turning the tap but the water still poured out. (I managed to turn the tap)
I tried to turn the tap but it was too old and rusty. (I couldn't turn the tap)

To sum up, It has a slightly different sense in using.
_________
References
Pauline Cullen (2007). Common mistakes at IELTS Intermediate and how to avoid them. Cambridge University Press.

6 comments:

  1. P'Sun,

    Can we use try+to v.inf. if we don't fail to do that thing? For example, I try to study more. (I havn't fail yet but I kep trying.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sun,
    Thank you for following this up and posting your results. I think it's great if you use this blog to extend discussions or otherwise follow up issues that arise in class.

    On the grammar point, your examples are excellent. As usual, a concrete example or two makes an abstract and confusing idea much clearer.

    Naya's follow up question is also a good one. Any takers? Perhaps another pair of examples?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for my former reply. It doesn't seem to be an academic answer.
    In my opinion, "I'm trying to study more", "I try to study more", and " I will try to study more" do not demonstrate a sense of failure towards a subject's action. What I really mean is that a failure in doing something occurs when an action passes and perhaps a writer should also give more details about it. "tried to do something" which is a past tense tends to contain a sense of failure (you can see from my above-mentioned examples). According to the three sentences i have addressed, an action still continues, even in a present simple tense; therefore, we cannot conclude whether failure has taken place or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! This is really useful! Thank you very much!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with nong Tang
    It's a useful post!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.