Saturday 6 August 2011

Stealing social security number from a tagged photo in Facebook!

When I was a kid, I always did stuffs, for example, chatting to friends and playing sports most of the times face to face. Now that the internet have become commonly used in my country, I can talk to friends, play tennis, search for books and lots more from the internet. People can also find me easily from social networking available from a website like facebook. It is where I share personal info and hundred of picture to the public, and in turn I may check others' personal data if I wish to get to know them more.. I think that is cool!!!!


Researchers from Carnegie Mellon University conducted a study using image scanning, cloud computing and Facebook profiles. The team leader from the study said that when we share a tagged photo online we allow other people to link our face to our name. This may be when we would expect the situation to be private. The study highlights the fact that with new technology comes, loss of privacy an example of this is during one part of the study a student’s social security number was able to be identified, starting only with the student’s picture. Because these technologies are widely available now, it is predicted that in the future our identities might be exposed to anyone with a smartphone and internet connection. Moreover, with the seamless merging of the online and offline world, this may require people to change their attitude towards privacy.



It scares me when I read this news. Can people actually steal such a thing by having pictures? If social security number is possible, what about finalcial details like credit cards? I personlly enjoy using the cards online to buy electronics, cloths and so on. Is it also possible to get my full details from pictures on facebook and begin the illegal transactions??? The thing is facebook should have something to protect their users not to be worried from privacy issue. I mean some strict rule. Can anyone share any idea how do they do it? I have no clues!!!!!

__________
References
Online photo can reveal our private data say experts. (2011, August 6). BBC news. Retrieved August 6, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14386514

1 comment:

  1. Facebook, users can choose what private information will show on their webpage, right?
    So you can type only nickname instead of full name. And set high-privacy in every setting option. I think similar as other social network websites like MySpace and Hi5.

    Anyways, I'm the one who use credit card to buy things on the Internet same as P Lek. So I made a contract with banks that whenever I purchase online, sms will be sent to my mobile every time. That's why I feel secure.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.