Tuesday 1 August 2017

Kate's academic interests


So... This's is quite interesting question for me. I think a lot about it now, because I want to go to an university, but that's not easy to choose what exactly interesting for me, and what is really relevant today.
I'm very interested in political science, I like to read about government organization in different countries. The world is going crazy now, we are surrounded by huge number of world problems - and most of them are problems of governments. I started to study public administration in a school, and continued later in my university in Russia. I'm especially interested in options of interaction between government and society and government and business. For example, my graduation work was about comparison of GR technologies in Canada and Russia.  After almost 4 years after this work I'm still very curious about it. I think more about PHD now.
This may seems strange, but I also like physics. "Why is it strange?" - you can ask me. That's easy! I understand in physics a little more than nothing. But anyway, this is my little hobby - try to understand "string theory" or "black hole theory". I find it is very interesting. And I want to know how works Large Hadron Collider, and - of course - I love to watch video with Stephen Hawking on TED. 
I will never become a professional in physics, it is obvious. 
But why not to try to observe interesting questions?
And finally, I'm very interested in studying languages. It's not a secret that in our days English is one of the world's languages.  And, for sure, I like English, this language is very useful everywhere around the globe. I have a lot of friends from different countries and we can keep in touch, because all of us use English! But my real passion is French. I'm totally in love with this beautiful language, and I spend a lot of time to study academic French. In my opinion, French language is difficult to learn, and much harder to learn than English. But it's my little dream - to speak the language of Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Kate,

    We appear to have something in common. I used to read a lot of Thai politic books, and also attended plenty of seminars about contemporary politics in Thailand. When I was in high school it was very hard to find a friend to talk with in political issues. Moreover, I also fascinated in politics as an ingredient to make a film.

    I like Stephen Hawking as well. I have just brought his renowned book 'A Brief History of Time'. Unfortunately, I still does not have time for it, but it is a good start. isn't it?

    It is quite weird, but true. I never fallen in love with languages until I has realized how vital it is. I want to study aboard, so I have to improve my English skills. It took about 2 years to practice. Now I study German, and I found it very very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the languages I've studied, I found Thai by far the most difficult, but it's also the one I've become at least a little fluent in. I agree that English is difficult. I would have thought German a bit easier than English, but I haven't studied German, so I don't really know. Actually, one of the reasons that English is so very difficult is that it's based on Old Germanic languages, with the addition of lots of French from when the Norman's conquered and ruled England, and also lots of Latin and Greek borrowings, and those different borrowings make for a very messy and confusing language, with lots of irregularities and unusual grammar patterns.
      As we will see on page 62 of Skillful one of the characteristics that distinguish academic English from the usual conversational versions is the use of more words with Greek or Latin origins in preference to English or German roots. And literary versions of English use everything.

      Delete
  2. Hello Kate. I could say that politic is the least thing in my bucket interesting lists because they usually make thing tougher and sometimes I feel like they playing games, even I know it's quite important for me as a future abroad student but I am now a bit open my mind.
    And physics, we have something in common, I also wonder about Black Hole theory and I love one movie which is a combination theory between imagination, sceince, and a blit of religion "Interstellar". Furthermore, about linguistics interest I could say that "Arrival (2016)" movie inspired me to learn more and more and look for the mysterious of languages (I mean its origin; form and meaning). If you haven't seen this movie yet, I really recommended you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bo for reminding me of Arrival. I liked it a lot more than Interstellar, and you explain one of its attractions very well: it's an exciting story, with lots of linguistics theory mixed in with the arrival of the aliens on Earth and their messages to us.

      Delete
  3. Hi,Kate. I also a little bit interesting in language since I think someone who could speak multi-languages is amazing and I also try my best to learn English well because English is a global language and now I also learn Japanese.In my opinion, it is not easier than English for the composition of sentences in the Japanese is different from Chinese and English.

    Lots of my friends also learn French and they also think it is difficult to learn retroflex but I think you can conquer it and being fluent in French in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have quite a same question as you about government organization.Obviously,in my country there is a big question between China and Taiwan.Some people think that it is more benefit to establish diplomatic relations,and some people think we can improve economy without China's assistance.It's a problem between government and society and government and business.It's really hard to solve it in the democratic country.I think it is quite interesting about the solution to solve this problem in my country.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.