Sunday 6 August 2017

Next small step for Facebook fighting fake news




What I read 
Facebook has been blamed that its flooded with fake news and hoax stories, in 2016 it influenced US and French presidential election. Facebook has previously unwilling to take down potentially fake news stories. Now Facebook took more efforts to fight fake news on its platform by launching a new feature that provides alternative news links beneath articles that cause problems. But many experts said it is not enough and it does nothing to stop people who making money by creating fake news. Facebook use artificial intelligence (AI) and user to detect the problematic articles, then sent to fact-checkers who put a flag on fake news and may show the fact-checking stories below the articles. Offering more information to users. But if Facebook wants to stop fake news, it needs to support trusted sources.
_______________________________________ 

My response 

I use Facebook almost every day. Today you can use Facebook to find all kinds of information. At the beginning Facebook is for only social. But now it is almost everything. You can buy and sell stuff like Amazon, find information like Google or even reading the news, but you have to be careful of what you are reading. Because Facebook account almost anyone can sing up or even one person has many accounts. So, the information on Facebook is flooded with true and fault information. Unlike trusted news organizations that have many processes and experts to check and recheck their works before publishing. On Facebook, one can post anything and people are just sharing these stuff like thousands of shares. Sometime without even checking is it true or not.The Facebook feature that puts a flag on fake news are available in only 4 countries.  


My experience with Facebook, I did find lots of news on Facebook that, later I found it is not true. I strongly agree with this article that Facebook should have more feature to protect their users or else, maybe we should not trust anything on Facebook ever. Some fake news or hoax stories are sensitive, have bad impact on people. It can change the way people think or change how to live their life in a wrong and dangerous way. For example, A hoax story about food can make Facebook user eat something that they should not, or the hoax article about medical that can make people treat their illness with wrong understanding, the effect can be minor or lethal. As you can see that information is very powerful and should be treated with care. My thought is if anything is doing harm than good, maybe you should stop using it.

_______________________________________ 

My question for readers 
How are your experience with Facebook? Did you trust everything on it? 
Reference
  • Facebook promises new fake news measures (3 August 2017) BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40812697

3 comments:

  1. To be honest, I hate Facebook. Why? Oh, the answer is very easy: I usually lost a lot of time when I'm surfing in FB. But I can say, that I never use Facebook like the source of news. It seems a little strange for me to believe social networks, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had problem with fake news on Facebook. I quiet not believe in whatever pop up in the Facebook easily. Nowadays, it's clear that people should be educated on how to use social media properly. I think the vital way to avoid fake news is people should learn to notice it by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to face many fake news in facebook. There's always one or more critical fake news each year, such as environment disaster. When I read them, I first kind of believed but then I suspected why such a tremendous news like that not showing in the TV. And it's what I think, soon facebook admin told us it's not true.

    I agree with Stamp "the vital way to avoid fake news is people should learn to notice it by themselves". Whether how strict is the security that check for fake and news, cheaters still try to improve their skill as security level is improve. It's hard to imagine that every news is real and can be trusted. So the most important part we have to improve and that part can't be cheat whether how intelligent is cheater is our thought. We don't have to be panic with every news. We just stay calm and if the news is true then there're also in many reliable media.

    To stop surfing in facebook is also a work approach. But it might be hard for many ones so I think we don't really have to, just don't be panic. Everyday I have facebook application in my phone. I use it as entertainment, not seriously finding some news.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.