Thursday 24 August 2017

Wooden Skyscrapers

What I read 
In the article "Get Ready for Skyscrapers Made of Wood.(Yes, Wood)" (2017), these days, architects are searching for a new kind structure to built high -rise buildings from wood. The usual materials for building skyscraper structure are steel and concrete, not wood because wood is flammable and not as strong as the other two materials. But now there comes out the wood innovation which makes wood light, but strong as steel. Therefore, this becomes a big step of skyscraper innovation by using new wood technology to create a new kind of structure. Recently, there are some timber high-rise building research projects, for example,  The River Beach Tower near the Chicago River, and Oakwood Tower in London.
_______________________________________ 

My response 
As I am an architect, this article really interests me. When I was at the university, I had thought about the idea of timber skyscrapers too, but I already threw that idea away because I thought it was impossible by the fact that wood is not strong enough to built a heavy giant building. Well, the article proves that I was wrong about it. Moreover, it surprises me that the tallest timber building in the world, Brock Commons, has 18 stories which means the height is approximately 63 meters.

However, after I read all the article, a question just pops up in my mind. Does the timber skyscrapers innovation make benefit to anything or anybody? One advantage I can think of is to show the ability of those people or country that they can make a new challenging kind of wooden high-rise building structure. I think this innovation is not important as much as they said. In the past, architects develop the building structure with purposes to make the building more functional or reducing time and materials in construction process such as building a roof of concert hall with steel truss structure instead of beam structure so that the concert hall will be larger and able to contain more seats. In contrast, wooden skyscraper innovation does not provide any benefit in term of space usability or saving time and cost of the construction. Also, using wood as a main material of a large building is not a way of sustainability.

_______________________________________ 

My question for readers 
What do you think about wooden skyscrapers? Does this innovation give any benefit, if it does, what is it?
_______________________________________ 
Reference

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm not sure why people try to use wood for the material for the large building. We all know wood must be weaker than steel and concrete. But I could think about Thai traditional home now, and I think it's classic and not easy to broke down. However, that just a one-or-two-stories home. That doesn't give me fear. In contrast, if I were in the skyscraper and abruptly someone told me that tall building was made from wood, I would find the way down to the ground in the shortest time(that's not jumping out).

    Of course, I don't feel safe in wooden skyscraper even if the architect prove that it's safe. I think they should do some survey about this, too. That's not going to be beneficial if there're a lot of people like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminds me of Japanese architecture style, which is very famous in using wood to build their houses, building, especially, castles. As you can see that in Japan, their castles are very tall, and it was built for so many years ago and it is still durable. I am quite interested in architecture as well. I have heard about the notion of wooden skyscrapers 5 months ago, and I never focus on it until I read your post.

    Your question is also interested me, for me, I think this innovation might not give any huge progress to the people at the beginning, But it will come after this, people might adapt this to other developments. More importantly, it shows that everything can be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! this idea sounds great for me. I know a lot of examples of wooden architecture in Russia. Most of them were built in the 17th century! And I can say that now this architecture looks great. Technologies are constantly evolving. If people built wooden houses 300 years ago, now, I think, we can build better and better. But I'm not professional in this area, maybe my opinion is wrong. But anyway, it seems to me that a wooden skyscraper should look very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I wrote like it is not necessary to built skyscrapers by wood, I still looking forward to see them complete. Stamp was right, I want to see what I once think it was impossible really happens. It might make some impact for people to think that everything can be possible.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.