Tuesday 22 August 2017

Astronomy phenomenon

What I read 
In the “Solar eclipse 2017: Americans gaze at sky spectacular.” Most Americans were crazy about seeing the solar eclipse and even President Donald Trump were interested in watching solar eclipse because it was the first total solar eclipse visible from America's lower 48 states in 38 years, and the first since 1918 to track from coast to coast.

A solar eclipse is a phenomenon that a huge shadow cast by the moon as it passed in front of the sun which means the whole country will be dark for about maybe forty seconds to two minutes and it was from Oregon in the west to South Carolina in the east.
What’s more, it is really important to put on protective glasses to gaze at the sky to look at this breathtaking moment.

_______________________________________ 

My response 
Total solar eclipse
I have seen an annular partial eclipse but not a total solar eclipse in Taiwan before and I remembered it happened in 2009 when I was 11 years old. It was my science teacher told us the information so that we could see this unusual scene and I put on my sunglasses to protect my eyes from gazing at sun directly. At that time, I think it is really interesting as the moon passed between the sun and earth, the disk of the sun is fully obscured by the moon. Such a phenomenon always appeals to many tourists and astronomers since it is really rare to see it and its orbit is tilted slightly, compared to the Earth’s orbit around the Sun, the Moon is usually too high or too low in the sky to get in the way of the Sun’s light. Then about once every 18 months, it lines up directly between the Earth and the Sun. The Moon casts its shadow on Earth, causing a total eclipse.


In fact, I also have seen the lunar eclipse which had happened two years ago on Moon Festival in Taiwan. However, the moon didn’t turn completely dark, it turned reddish, as it hit by sunlight bent by the Earth's atmosphere, a phenomenon known as a blood moon and it also called a perigee supermoon. Such a special scene enabled me to leave unforgettable memory.

Indeed, I am the person who are fond of observing astronomy. I like to see the stars shining in the sky and if there is a meteor shower I usually go ahead to see it. To me, the astronomy is very fascinating! 

__

_____________________________________ 


My question for readers 

Have you ever seen the solar eclipse or lunar eclipse or any astronomy phenomenon? 
_______________________________________
Reference

5 comments:

  1. I have seen solar and lunar eclipse when I was young but non of them are total eclipse. It was happened when I was in grade 3. My science teacher prepare many tools for us to see solar eclipse. It is very wonderful for me and my classmates even it was not a total eclipse. Moreover, I have seen lunar eclipse often than solar eclipse because it is easier to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not remember it much whether I have seen it or not.
    When I was in high school, I think I had seen it once, but I quite not certain how to call it, it might the same one that you had seen in 2009. In that time, I was very excited about it. I had never something like that before. It shows me the how small we are in the world. However, I have never had a deep interest in astronomy phenomenon. I still did not follow it much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen total solar eclipse once when in 1995. My parents took me to a small hill far from town. Because I was very young so I cannot remember the name of the place, but I can remember the solar eclipse phenomenon quite clear. At the time when the moon passed between the sun and the Earth, my sister and I were laying on the grass, wearing a special sunglasses and looking staight at the sun which was going darker and darker. And suddenly, the sky went dark just like in the night for a few minutes. I saw a ring of the light, which was beautiful, around the sun. My father took a lot of pictures of it and said " this phenomenon is very specail and rarely happen. You have to wait for 75 years untill it happens again.

    I have seen luna eclipse too, but I didn't feel excited as much as when I saw solar eclipse.

    There is one thing I want to see once in my life which is a comet across the sky. My dad told me he have seen it once when he was young, and it was very beautiful and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have seen total solar eclipse once when in 1999. To be honest I don't understand why a lot of people give great importance to this phenomenon. Yes, it happens infrequently. But, every year on Earth there can be from 2 to 5 solar eclipses. On average, for a hundred years there are 237 solar eclipses. That's a lot! We are quite yang we we already saw a solar eclipse. I can say more, the next solar eclipse will be in 2024, and we have one mote chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen solar eclipse and lunar eclipse long time ago. It's really wonderful time; I like the stuff like this; it's about space and planet. I would be always looking forward to seeing all these phenomena. But that's long time ago as I says, and so long that I can't remember when. If it's another one occur recently, I'll go for it.

    Another phenomenon besides from these, I'm sure you also saw this(if you're in Thailand at that time, or maybe it's not all region who can see), it's called "smiling moon" which is consist of Venus, Mars, and moon. It's in 2008.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.