Tuesday 1 August 2017

Thun's Academic Interests

My academic interest is science. I like to read science books since I was in second grade. In Thailand, there is a monthly science magazine called "Go Genius". There are many interested columns every volumes, such as how to distill oil from seaweed and an island made by tons of garbage. The most interested column for me is space discovery column. It is a column which updates news from space organizations around the world. For example, a discovered of a new planet that human might be able to live in and a new satellite. Moreover, when I was in elementary school, my science teachers conducted many science experiments for us to make us interested in their class. For example, an experiment to see how an electric circuit work. Because of these things, they make me love science.

I also interest in history. In Thailand, students need to learn Thai history since they were in first grade. Most of my classmates hate to learn history, because they think it was unnecessary to learn history. However I think different. In my opinion, history is the reason why the present become like this. Everything happened in the past effects the present. If something in history was changed, our present will be changed too. Moreover, history is a note that record human's activities. There were good things and bad things in this record. We, the human who live in nowadays should learn history and do not make the same mistakes as the human in the past.

I think that science and history is related together. We can see that science is growing together with human since in the past. Many science discoveries and inventions affect human's culture and lifestyle. For example, the invention of aircraft has a great effect on human's transportation way to be easier and faster and the discovery of electricity change lifestyle to be convenient. Most of discoveries and inventions make our life quality better. However, some of them cause million of people die, such as the invention of a nuclear bomb. It means that science can be useful or harmful to human depends on how we use it.

2 comments:

  1. My own experience of science was a little different to Thun's. It started similarly, with my interest being caught by experiments, but I quickly became more interested in the theory, and was happy to let other people do the actual experiments. I was never very good at experiments, but was prepared to have faith in the ability of others to get verifiable results. Today, I still like to read about experimental discoveries in science, from psychology and behavioural economics to physic, such as the discovery a couple of years ago of the Higgs particle, some 50 years after its existence was predicted by the physicist Peter Higgs. I'm always amazed that humans can make such discoveries about the reality of the universe we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I really don't like history when I was a student as a result of I think it is too complicated and the history is too long to remember all the details of the history event.
    However, after I saw a TV series about Taiwan's history which is absolutely touched my heart thus it contributed to changing the aspect I see the history.
    Actually, I agree with you that history is a mirror to present people and it can keep present people from doing the same mistakes so that now I think history just like a story and I enjoy the story time!

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.