Friday 30 March 2018

Bottled water contaminated with microplastics

What I read


In “Plastic particlesfound in bottled water” (2018), David Shukman reported that the research conducted by Orb Media, journalism organization, revealed that almost bottled water of 11 bottled water brands all around the world, such as Aquafina, Evian and Nestle Pure Life, was contaminated by microplastics. 10.4 particles per liter were bigger than 100 microns, about the width of human hair, and 314 particles per liter were bigger than 100 microns, which were likely to be plastic. The main plastic found in the bottled water was polypropylene, which is used in bottle cap, so this evidence supported one theory said that opening a plastic bottle may let plastic particles pollute the water. However, although no evidence was found that cause harm, more scientific studies and researches were needed to find out more evidences and analysis.

___________________________________ 

My response 

For me, it’s possible that plastic fragments from the process of making water bottles fall into the water inside but unexpectedly just twisting a screw cap can cause some tiny plastic particles to drop into the water.

Plastic water bottles are very convenient, portable and lightweight. Some of them are well designed and molded in clear plastic cylinders with curved sides and bottoms, which support carrying and can reduce bumping when distribution. Moreover, they are available at small grocery stores and major department stores. With these reasons, the plastic water bottles have become popular and used excessively in some countries. Not only drinking water, but most food, especially snacks and dry products, and other beverages are contained in plastic packets individually regarding to hygiene and convenience.


I’m one of plastic users. Before I realized that use of plastic is a major factor in water pollution and danger to aquatic creatures, I neglected how many plastic bags and bottles I consumed for years. I cared about only my convenience and hygiene (which may never have existed). But when my plastic bags I’ve collected increased more and more, at that time I didn’t know how to get rid of them but throwing them away. Anyway, I didn’t throw them but I have reused plastic bags and refused single-use plastic bags. What’s more, now I’m using a stainless steel tumbler at my office for my ice tea in the morning and the other one for traveling. I’m also using reusable straws instead of plastic straws after watching video showing a sea turtle with a plastic straw in his nose. Yes, I cried. One of straws I used may flow into the ocean and an animal may be mistaken and eat it or hurt it like the video shown. So, what I have to do is to change my habit and prepare my reusable containers and it will be great if I can produce waste less and less and becomes zero waste.
___________________________________ 

My question

How can you reduce plastic pollution?
___________________________________ 

Reference

  • Shukman, D. (2018, March 15). Plastic particles found in bottled water. BBC News. Retrived from http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43388870

7 comments:

  1. After reading your article, I feel a little bit scary of plastic bottle, which seems like something benign to us. In fact,from the article,drinking from plastic bottle might be one of causes in unhealthiness because of plastic particles found in the water; however, they found no harm from the particles.In my point of view, there are chances of getting some diseases from the particles such as cancer, organs malfunction and nutrition problems. So it is better to reduce plastic bottle utilization, and start using metal bottle or other materials available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your response does not only reflect the harm of plastic particle but also the dangerous of marine life. I know that the water in plastic bottle might be contaminated with plastic particles. However, it seems more clean and pure to drink. However, after I read your response I will try to use the stainless bottle instead. Also, I will reduce plastic utilization by recycle the plastic bag and taking the cloth bag when I go to shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh there are many articles related to the plastic. At first I am very surprise that many bottled water contaminated with micro plastics.

    For your question,there are many short term to alleviate plastic pollution. For example, waste separation, recycling and using selective bottle. Nevertheless, it would be better to raise our awareness about plastic pollution and teach it to next generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because of my job that I need to travel here and there a lot, it's quite difficult for me to bring a personal tumbler or bottle with me everywhere. I confess that I usually buy bottled water from convenient stores whenever I'm working offsite. Even though I try to reuse it by filling it up again and again but I have to throw it away at the end of the day. However, I try another way. Refuse using plastic bags when shopping. I prefer using a big-sized cloth bag, or a backpack instead. One reason is that it's a lot easier if I put everything in it; and the other reason is to reduce using plastic.
    By the way, thank you for sharing your idea how to reduce using plastic. I'll try to bring my tumbler offsite too, at least more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this research before from Twitter and told Nestle Pure Life had high score of microplastics but when I read full research this drink brand in Thailand don't have microplastics too much, it has average score. Although it isn't too much more another brands, all brand have microplastics in water. It is not good for my life so I think may be I boil water, it is safer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although they have to make a research how much level of plastic that is not dangerous to people, I have already concern about what I drink. I drink a plastic bottle of water everyday. I hope those water company should react about this finding. The problem happen when we open the bottle. Therefore, I curious that if we change to drink a glass bottle of water, will it be more safety. Not only will we solve plastic contamination in water, we will also reduce number of plastic we create which will relieve environmental problem. Another ways I try to reduce pollution is reduce plastic bags. When I but things at 7 eleven, I sometime give plastic back and use my bag instead. Sometimes, I also want 7/eleven to change policy. They should do not provide plastic bag for just small products we buy which we can put in our bag. Plastic bag and straw should be give to us when we ask for.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.