Tuesday 13 March 2018

Suspended from Spitting

What I read and watched


Why is spitting so bad? describes how spitting is bad? from a video of an English footballer named Jamie Carragher spat towards a family in a car and got suspended from his job, create question why is spitting seen as so offensive? In the past, spitting was a socially acceptable habit in Europe, but by the 19th Century, manners changed. What happened was during the 1940s, when tuberculosis (TB) was widespread, it was common to see "spitting prohibited" signs on buses. Nowadays, Spitting is often seen as an act of anger and disrespect. On the football pitch, spitting on the ground is a common sight but spitting at your opponents is categorised as "violent behaviour" by world governing body Fifa.
___________________________________ .

My response 

As  I see the word spitting, pictures of saliva coming out from person's mount come to my head, and that does not feel impressing. Saliva itself has many advantages for the person. Firstly, It helps with the 1st step of digestion in the mouth. Secondly, It creates a food bolus so food can be swallowed easily. In addition, it keeps the mouth moist and comfortable. Lastly, It also can fight germs in the mouth and prevents bad breath. Personally, I think nobody would feel comfortable when other people spit near or around their sides. Saliva can be found pleasing only between lovers or couples but in Reality, It is really disgusting among strangers. 

Despite the look and texture, Spitting can cause some health risk to others as well. For instance, if the person who spat was sick, you could have gotten their contagious disease even though there is not a high possibility of happening. It also surprised me that England actually has a fine for spitting. This shows how much they concerned about this action in public. Spitting become illegal in England since 2013 and I agree with that law. The government should look after and concern about actions, which people allow and not allow to do in public. In most cases, spitting id done deliberately will be an assault. Avoiding conflicts, the government makes this action in public in illegal is a good idea from my perspective. 

Myself do not know how to make a spit. Sometimes, I regret that because I am not able to spit anything that I did not like out from my mouth, but most of the times, I kind of appreciate it. I have no idea why I can not do it. Since I was young, Nobody has taught me how to spit and I, myself have never made an attempt to make it successful. On the other hand, If there are any poisonous snakes bite me or my friends, I will not be able to suck and spit the poison out from my mouth. Just now I started to think that learning to spit might be a good idea after all.
___________________________________ 

My question

What is your opinion toward footballer, Jamie Carragher has been suspended from his job because of spitting? Does he deserve it or not? 
___________________________________ 

Reference

  • Why is spitting so bad? (2018, March 12). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43372154

6 comments:

  1. I don't think that spitting is really violent, but it is pretty disgusting. Reading Sine's summary, I was reminded of when I lived in Taipei many years ago: spitting on the street was common, and there were campaigns to stop it. Sometimes, the customs and traditions from our ancestors are awful and really should be reformed. I'm pretty sure that if I visited Taipei today it would be very different to the city I remember from the late 1980s. Bangkok has also changed a lot since my first visit, and it's much better today than it used to be: the air is cleaner and getting around is much easier. Spitting? I don't often see spitting in public these days, either, which is a good thing.

    I haven't really answered Sine's question, but that's OK. I'm sure others will respond a bit more on topic than I have. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Jamie Carragher. He was Liverpool's vice-captain, played for Liverpool as center back before I know Liverpool and for most of his football career life, and retired there. He played well and put all he had for Liverpool. For these reason, I consider him a very loyal footballer and one legendary of Liverpool - I like him.

    However, even though in some place spitting might not be a problem, it is one of the actions I found disgusting. I know in football pitch or somewhere like this people are tired and their saliva is sticky, so it is normal and I think everyone understands that. But in other public places such as footpath or the park, there are many people using the place; it wouldn't be pleasant to find someone's saliva on the ground in front of you. It might be okay according to the law in some country, but at least for the place that spitting prohibited law has written, people should aware of it.

    That is a yes for me. Jamie is Liverpool's legendary but what he had done was something breaking the law. What is more, he spat to the people(according to your summary), not to the ground. It makes sense enough that he deserves it. But I still like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I do not like Liverpool team as it is opponent of my favorite football team. However, I respect for Jamie Carragher who had long time played for one team. Hardly ever found one who has strong loyalty for his team.

    Personally, spitting is not really violet if it not occur on some one face or belonging of someone. In this case I think suspending him from his job is right judgement but we should investigate more about the cause of this violence. The victim might provoke to him with very rude language. We should be fair for both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However , if it is in Thailand, it is really bad habit.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Peter that splitting is a bit disgusting because saliva and mucus can transmit diseases. I think the action of splitting something out of one's mouth is impolite if he/she does at someone intentionally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In terms of manner, spitting in public is considered rude for civilized people to do and will be offensive if you spitting to other people.I used to see some old people in Bangkok and some cigarette-smoker spitting in public, and i found it is disgusting. Moreover, spitting can cause many diseases to spread and can be bad for public health.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.