Monday 26 March 2018

Adapt or die: How to cope when the bots take your job


What I read AI and robot will make low skilled labor unemployed. For example, recently, call center staff were replaced by AI. An analytic program will be able to do a job as same as a fund manager. Driverless cars was invented and will be used commonly in the future.This situation will be more are more widespread . However, it has positive effect on high skill labor because robot will helps an expert to do easy works and let expert take that time develop new things or improve the way they work. Moreover, some expert believe that it will not increase an unemployment but it will just change types of job demand in the market. Market will need employee that have IT skill. Therefore, we have to adapt ourselves by new skills, such as, programming, data science.  

___________________________________ 
My response 

I had seen many changes about technology and AI for last three years. The most noticable I can see is happening with financial industry. Nowadays, we do not go to physical bank branches as often as we go in the past because we can do financial transaction through mobile device. The big bank, SCB announced that they will reduce more than 10,000 people within three years. At first, I surprised about the news because I did not think it will happen fast. Moreover, I am work in a bank as well. That made more concern about it

Some experts predict that in the future we will work less hours than today because robot will do some boring jobs for us. So, the overall jobs that need to be done will be decreased but the number of working labor are almost the same. As a result of that, we will have more free time and I appreciate about that. Another thing, that might change is job that related with IT skill will have high demand. Moreover, there is a research finding that  "Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century."  Davenport, Thomas H., and D. J. Patil. "Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century." Harvard Business Review90, no. 10 (October 2012): 70–76.


Personally, I think I am not so ready with this change because I am not good about IT but I plan to learn about that more. Therefore, I choose to learn master of e-Commerce. Actually, I would like to learn about business information system but it will learn IT too deep. I do not have education or experience about IT. I afraid I will be suffer during I am study. So, I choose e-Commerce which is mixture of business and IT. However, one thing I am waiting for is the effect that I will be able to work less hours than today. In these days, I feel I do not have enough time to manage all thing I want. 
   ___________________________________ 
My question
Are you ready to adapt yourself with this trend? 
______________________________ 

Reference

  • Matthew, W. (2018, March 16). Adapt or die: How to cope when robot take your job. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43259906

3 comments:

  1. Ween's chosen source and her responses caused me to think of another BBC News story that had recently caught my eye: "DeepMind explores inner workings of AI" (2018, March 22), which is reminder not only of how sophisticated AIs are becoming, but how like our own minds they are in being opaque. We don't know much about the inner workings of our own minds, or we didn't until the 1980s or so when neuroscience began making solid progress, and we have increasingly less understanding of how AIs do what they do.

    Although I share the worry of people like the late great Stephen Hawking and of the IT driven Elon Musk, this also seems exciting to me, and as Ween suggests, the worry might be overdone. But even if humans no longer had jobs that needed to be done, would that be so disastrous? It would certainly result in radical revisions of most people's chosen identities, but I'm not sure it would be quite so disastrous as the media reports sometimes suggest. I'm more worried that Hawking might indeed have been right when he argued that AI poses a truly existential threat to our species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in that single comment I managed to try out some language for introducing ideas as well as using the prefix over-.

      Delete
  2. I agree that people need to adapt themselves to fit current job market. Since Ai has developed a lot and people will use it instead of workers. So I am pretty sure that labor who do not have specific skills might be affected in the near future. Yes, I read the news about driverless cars last week but it still did not work since there was an accident during Uber was testing. However, I do think that driverless cars will come to the market soon.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.