Friday 30 March 2018

More plastic bottle will be recycled.

What I read.

The UK will endorse plastic bottle deposit scheme to reduce non recycle plastic bottles. Current situation, there are more than three billions plastic bottles are not recycled in The UK. This campaign have done in many country in Northern Europe and also Scotland, which have vary management system. The previous plastic reduction campaign in the UK, 5p charge for plastic bag, is successful to reduce more than 80% of plastic bag consumption. However, the new project's challenge is how to motivate people, retailer and plastic factory for contribution in this important project and convenience for all stakeholders is the key success factor for this deposit scheme.   

___________________________________ 

My response 

Last year, I went to Samui Island, which is a famous travel place in Thailand, and saw a lot of waste in a sand beach. Most of them made from plastic for example; plastic bag, plastic bottle, plastic box.  However, I met a volunteer group, who kept a trash on the beach, and I help them to keep it as same as an activity which I always do when I go to the sea. Even if we can keep all garbage on a beach, there are a abundant of waste in the sea, that we cannot see, and most of them are non degradable. In each year, there are many sea animal die from eating plastic trash in the sea, not only a big animal eats but also small animal, such as plankton, eats. Any plastic degrades into micro-plastic,  a tiny scrap of plastic, and plankton eats it as their food. In marine food chain, unfortunately, plankton is a food of many ocean animal for example; fish, shell, shrimp, or crab,  then human eat that animal as our food. When we eat seafood, we maybe eat micro-plastic, the garbage that human left into the sea.

In my opinion, the best way to reduce trash in ocean is limited using plastic in our daily life and effective recycle system. This campaign is my dream because I always imagine that our country should have a better recycle system, however, it is never start. For initiation this new project in Thailand, the government should well prepare both people attitude and infrastructure of recycle system.Thai people should change their attitude about recycling  and waste management because many Thais do not separate trash to each waste type and also think that environmental problem is not their business. For system preparedness, the government or local governments should invest in plastic bottle recycle system, endorses a law or regulation for scheme management, and prepare equipment. It is look difficult to do but I think if the government has a commitment and Thai people have awareness, this project will be done and will be successful. Finally, Thai ocean will be beautiful and our environmental system will improve and sustain for the next generation. 
___________________________________ 

My question

How do you decrease plastic using in your daily life?
___________________________________ 

Reference

7 comments:

  1. Recently, I've seen many news or campaign about plastic usage as it became one of many problem that we notice. For example, the plastic bag which is given to the customer in many stores, people start to build campaigns to reduce plastic usage. They protested that plastic bag given to customer every time is unnecessary. It became a big discussion for a while in social media. And right now every time I go to the supermarket or 7-11(regularly), I saw the cashiers asked me first if I need the bag, which is plastic. I'd say no if I just buy small things that I can carry on my hand and that's most of the time. That is how I decrease the plastic using in my daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many islands in Thailand are fully with the garbage because most people, who visit there, lack of disciplinary that is so ashamed situation. When I travel and I see the waste on the floor, I always throw it to the bins. I am so worried about the environment because I want to keep it clean and beautiful as long as I can.
    Also, it is certain that the seafood we eat, they are contaminated with any chemical particle. Therefore, I think it is time to teach and launch the new campaign for reducing the amount of the waste in every tourist attraction. Moreover, Thai people should be forced to separate the garbage in order to improve the recycle system in Thailand. It it not only Thai people role but also the government should support this system. I have read the news in Netherland. They produce the electricity by using plastic bottle and waste, so if our country can do like them, our country will improve in many ways.

    I will use cloth bag and reject to receive the plastic bags from grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good article to remind us to aware of using plastic. I have read many news over last three years about pollution or bad affect of plastic when it is thrown. So, I always try to reduce using plastic, for example, I went to supermarket like 7 eleven and I bought only some food which I could carry it without using plastic bag or when I got plastic bag from super market which sometime I couldn't avoid , I always reused it as garbage bag.

    I think this situation is occur long time ago which I think it might be hard to tackle the problem immediately. However, I think if we can change our attitude and also younger generation to aware of it. It would help to solve the problem in long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to answer your question. People in many countries in the world these days do not use plastic as we use these days. For example, when Thais go to a market or department store, we use a plastic bag to keep our food or stuff in. On the other hand, Americans are trying not to use a plastic bag because it has lead to the global warming and they have to pay for it actually. So they bring the bag from their place to buy stuff and use the bag as much as they can. Another example, Americans use a Thermos not a plastic bottle. They bring it to work or school to get water. I understand that we cant do this in Thailand because we cant get water from a tap from the restroom because we do not believe that it is fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Gaii that waste disposal and management in Thailand is so poor. I think what we, as customers, can do is to reduce using plastic stuff. Not only bags but cups, straws, spoons, forks and other containers are also plastic. I truly believe that we all can change our habits if we really want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dealing with excessive plastics utilization problem is the thing that we should do in our generation, I have seen so many problem that related to plastic usage; for instance, sea turtles suffered from eating plastic bags that were tossed into the sea because they misunderstood that it was a jellyfish,which is their natural food, and plastic garbage that accumulated in environment can be harmful to nature. Despite the fact that we are familiar in using plastic in everyday life, we should start to reduce the utilization of plastics and use other materials instead; for example, metals,woods or glasses can be used and reused to minimize garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am keen to this recycle campaign to happen in Thailand. All we have done is just to put up some signs which say " Our ......organisation is supporting people to use tote bag" but surrounds which people carrying plastic bags. Every convenient store need to stop give away plastic bag to customers. If they do not have anything to carry their goods with, then make them buy a bag, but not a plastic bag, sell people fabric bags or other material which can be reuse and also do no harm to an environment. One thing that I love the most when I travel Europe is I will get to see people prepare backpack or tote bag every time they go to convenient store. I just wish I will be able to see that kind of picture in Thailand soon.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.