Tuesday 20 March 2018

Tourist and waste

What I read

In Everest clean-up campaign aims to airlift 100 tonnes of waste, BBC News reports that the Sagarmatha Pollution Control Committee (SPCC), a local organization, and local guides establish and run the clean-up campaign at Mount Everest for bringing back climber's rubbish by airplane. Aim of this program is sweeping 100 tonnes of adventurous traveler's waste. There are many type of remained rubbish on the mountain for example beer can, food tin, oxygen bottle and trekking equipment. The project was established in 10 years ago by local guides; every previous year, there were thousands ton of waste which be gathered. However, only the first day of this year campaign, 1,200 kilograms of rubbish was eliminated and removed from the highest mountain to capital city because of private air transport company coordination.
_________________________________ 

My response 

When I read this article, I recall my last trekking trip at Chiang Mai, Doi Luang Chiang Dao Mountain, and I realize that I might accidental drop my garbage on the mountain. Last 5 years, there have been gradually increasing trend of natural traveling therefore many natural forest have huge travelers to visit. Most of visitors are interested in environmental and natural traveling. However, the problem is some visitors are not real natural lovers and do not have public mind to maintain environmental system. Many natural forests in Thailand have remaining garbage so that environmental system is destroyed and many wildlife accidentally eat them and eventually die from the trash which obstruct their intestine. When l went to Doi Luang Chiang Dao, I found a common problem that there were a lot of rubbish on a ground and most of them undegradable such as a plastic bag, a plastic bottle and especially a baby wipe. How many a traveler visit is how much a trash they leave. My experience there told me that our country have no appropriate system to control a number of traveler and have no strong rule for regulation their terrible behavior. Furthermore Thai travelers also lack of awareness in the environmental problem that they create.

2 year ago, the Ministry of Traveling and Sport promoted their new traveling campaign that invited travelers to visit many small cities that less popular among the travelers or they called 12 unmissable cities campaign. That time I was in Nan province and I realized that Nan became a popular city for all Thai travelers because of an unique culture, placeful city, and  beautiful natural resource. My quiet place was changed by crowded visitors and many local peoples were disturbed by a changing situation. The city could not adjust themself because they lacked of preparedness. Finally in the worst case, the local culture ans lifestyle maybe unfortunately be changed as we can see in Pai district, Mae Hong Sorn province.

I would like to support the rule that limit a number of visitor and control their travel behavior that is suitable and context specific in each place for a sustainable development in all traveling place.

  ___________________________________ 

My question

Which mountain or forest did you go last time, and how did you do with your waste?
___________________________________ 

Reference

Everest clean-up campaign aims to airlift 100 tonnes of waste. (2018, March 17). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43443196?intlink_from_url=http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cg5rv33092rt/mount-everest&link_location=live-reporting-story

5 comments:

  1. After reading this, I am so frustrated with how travelers can be this irresponsible tho the nature. What kind of mindset they have to just threw away the trash anywhere they want, it's unacceptable and unbearable for me.It seems like this kind of travelers grow more larger in number;whereas, there are people that try their best to reserve the environment. I used to travel to Fuji mountain once, at that time, i was so surprised because the Japanese travelers help pick up garbage form the floor and toss it into bins. What i surprised is that how they were raised to be that kind of discipline people. It could be great if most of the travelers be the same as Japanese travelers;otherwise, the authority should raise some penalty to those irresponsible travelers, banned them from trekking like 1 year should be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you that careless travelling could destroy natural places. Tourists have damaged many places without knowing such as Music Festival in Khao Yai which could have noise pollution and heaps of garbage to wildlife. Apart from mountain attraction, beaches and sea area are also affected negatively from travelling. As we can see from many news recently, Many coral reefs in Thailand South coast are devastated by Chinese tourists. I think government should be concerned about this problems and limit the number and set up penalties to control it like Gai said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that government has to do something with the regulation on tourist and their garbage. As I'm not a mountain-lover, on long holiday I usually go to the sea. I remembered when I was very young when I went to Pattaya, it was wonderful and the sea was clean. But for now we know Pattaya has changed because of traveler's carelessness, and also in many beach they're going worse. Sure, no one wants the tourist attractions to be like this but they don't know it's all from their behavior, traveler's. So as long as they're not knowing what they do is damaging the nature, government should limit the number of tourist in each place or give them serious punishment. I think there's already a law about it but people these day aren't afraid of the law. However, it's best if we all are discipline enough to care the nature, drop the garbage in the bin, etc.

    The mountain I went last time was Doi Inthanon, if I was right. When I went there, there's not many people because it was not a long holiday. I can't remember there's garbage on the floor or not but I guess there was. However, I think I was careful enough. I didn't drop mine on the floor - I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of you here how a careless group of tourists can ruin nature and mood of places. Not only a place itself, but other tourists' moods are also ruined. They come from different places and cultures, so it's hard to control every tourist that are pouring in. I don't think this problem is found only in Thailand, but it happens to every country where owns famous tourist destinations. Recently, I visited a sacred place, worshiped by the locals, where wearing uncovered clothes aren't allowed. Even though tourists are required to follow the rule strictly, I still spotted some visitors with shorts and loose tank tops wandering around the place. I didn't know if it's the failure of officials that letting them in, or of the visitors who didn't respect the rules. Or both.
    I totally agree with the point that there should be some serious rules and punishment for those who commit any violations. However, is it an impossible mission for us that tourism plays a key role in our economy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted the news on my Facebook five days ago with the caption "What did they (mountaineers) get from climbing the mountain?".
    People who can climb up to the summit and go down are admirable because it is really hard, advantageous and dangerous to reach the points they wish to go. Climbing may fulfill their lives but apart from themselves, what do the mountaineers give to the mountain, the environment, the natives, or wildlife? It shouldn't have happened like this.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.