Tuesday 13 March 2018

Chinese takeaway can bust your salt allowance

What I read

Beef in black bean sauceIn "Chinese takeaway can bust your salt allowance", the analysis (2018) of over 150 dishes in Chinese  Restaurants and supermarket found that 43 % of Chinese foods are very salt intense and some of them contained more than half of salt that adults require per day (6 g). For example, main course like beef in soil sauce with egg fried rice is the top in the list which could account for around 5.3 g. However, only a few dishes deliver under 1.4 g of salt per dishes, for instance, Prawn crackers and vegetable spring rolls. As a result, Public Health England has been encouraged the food industry to cut down salt levels in food and encouraged their citizens to read the nutritional values on food packaging. 

___________________________________ 

My response 

The result of this analysis does not surprised me because these day the foods industry is very competitive and they try to beat other competitors by tasty food. However, I have never concerned about it before. I always eat foods that I prefer which is normally salty. This passage not only warn me about salty dishes but it also warn me about other intense flavor dishes like spicy and sour foods. 

Moreover, with regard to passage, it is good idea to read the nutrition label before you eat or buy something. You can estimate about fat, salt, sugar which you daily eat. In supermarkets or department stores I sometime look at nutrition label and it really surprising to me that some snacks are not fat enough that I tough. However, some of fruit juice which I used to think it is healthy but it actually  contain a high level of sugar. 


Finally, this article is also reminded me to keep fit by regular exercise. There are many unhealthy foods nowadays. Sometime in rush hour we have to eat fast food or instant noodle before commuting to the office or school. If we can not avoid that instance, we should find the way to maintain our health. So, exercise at least 3 - 4 days per days would be an option to protect yourselves from the risk.


Many adult may not concern about this issue now, but when you are older, many healthy problems might occur and it may be too late to change you habit.
___________________________________ 

My question

How much approximately salt do you eat per day ? Is it over the salt recommendation levels ?
___________________________________ 

Reference

7 comments:

  1. This article remind me to read nutritional label carefully. But this is very hard when it come to street foods. I read some articles related to health science in university hence it has encouraged me to control the food I eat. I personally ordered those street foods with request for lower salt and sugar. But I don't sure how much they actually in those dishes.

    For Jane's question, I have absolutely no idea how much salt I eat daily. After I read your blog I should be more careful on what I eat.

    Thank you for a good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty hard to know how much I eat salt per day. I hardly take a look at nutritional labels. However, most of food in Thailand do not show exact nutritions or ingredients particularly street foods that Pom mentioned earlier.

    This article suggests me to read nutritional labels before consuming. Eating a lot of salt leads to several diseases such as heart disease and stroke. Therefore, I should be more careful about eating and work out more to reduce the chance to get sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same as other replies, I don't know exactly how much salt I consume each day. And to be honest, I'm never concerned of this factor; I always eat whatever I like by its taste. For the nutrition, I just try to eat enough meat and carbohydrate and some vegetable everyday. When I get older than this, I might care more about how much salt, sugar, or something that I eat everyday.

    But that doesn't mean I don't care of my own body. I also work out at least 4 days a week or whenever I feel too inactive. I have to thank the military school which used to force me to do exercise everyday. At that time, I really hated it. But for now, no one tells me to exercise, I feel my body need some workout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the answer of the question is 6 gm. However, in Thailand, salt consuming per day should not more than 1.2 gm that is because it leads the big health problems, such as hypertension, kidney disease and heart disease. Nowadays the level of salt consuming is so high than standard level. Moreover, it seems more increasing gradually because the popular dishes must be tasty also. I am the one who really like to eat salty foods even I know that are not good to health. However, I have tried to change my habit, but it is quite hard. Your blog reminds me to think about the huge problem from eating salt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog actually encourage me to take a look at labels, i have to admit that, as a thai people, i am quite familiar with flavorful dishes, and would add fish sauce automatically to adjust the flavor. Which is a really bad habits, and my salt intake definitely above the healthy level for sure. Practically,if i want to be more healthy, i should be more disciplined about what i eat. Apart from calories, I would take an account of salt intakes every time i eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know nowadays food filled with salt. It is not good for health, it causes disease especially kidney disease which is a chronic disease incurable. I really sensitive with salty, I usually don't eat salty foods when I eat food at restarant I will order the salinity reduction. I don't eat salty so I choose to eat sweet instead although it is unhealthy same salt and now I think I will decrease to eat sweet for my health.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.