Tuesday 11 November 2008

Caught in the Rain: Hydrophobic Lotus Leaves

This doesn't really have anything to do with fears, phobias of other psychological issues, but the word hydrophobia has a completely different meaning that the article reminded me of. 

I was at the bank one eafternoon recently when a brief but heavy storm struck. Whilst taking shelter in their convenient ATM booth in the Bangkok Bank's forecourt and watching the scenes outside, the behaviour of the lotus leaves in front of the booth caught my eye.

Because they are associated with water, you wouldn't expect it, but they are amazingly hydrophobic; and no, I don't mean they are scared of water. The drops of rain hit the large, funnel shaped leaf in the centre of my photograph, and ran into the centre of it, where they collected into a tablespoon's worth or so of liquid. Despite the rain, which had been pelting down for at least twenty minutes by this time, the leaf was perfectly dry. As the wind blew it, the leaf swayed around, sending the pool of water twirling around the leaf before settling back into the centre. Every now and then, a stronger gust of wind tipped it enough to spill the water, and a new accumulation began. This kept me amused for several minutes while I was waiting to move on; when I finally left after about half an hour, the leaf was still perfectly dry.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! How can you connected a lotus leaf and chapter information. You are observant.

    My house have lotus tree. I love to put the water into the lotus leaf and turn around it. It's fun!
    And, I realize that on the surface of lotus leaf has a lot of hair. I tried to use my finger pull out the hair of lotus leaf. After I did like that, when I put the water on the leaf, it wet.

    (But, now my fun is disappear, because all lotus leafs have many holes by plastic gun!! from my brother.)

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.