Sunday 9 November 2008

Why do we write them?

Another one that could have been added to my list of questions about Law's dialogue is: Why did he write it? And that question could also be usefully asked of everything we write. Why do we write paragraphs? Why do we write paragraphs and essays? Why do people such as philosophers, scientists, historians, lawyers and so on, write academic paragraphs, essays, dialogues and so on? 

Since you are in an academic reading and writing class, you will have some ideas about this question. As you are reading something, why do you think the writer wrote it? And when you write things, such as the paragraph last week, why do you write them? 

After, or before, you share your ideas about Law's ideas, you might like to leave a comment here as well. And since this is a response writing, please feel free to respond as widely as you wish. For example, as I was writing the above, I also wondered how our reasons for academic writing might differ from why we write other things. Obviously, my reason for writing an email to my mother is not the same as my reason for writing a paragraph about the choice of the painter Vincent van Gogh's Ward in the Hospital in Arles (1889) as the opener image for a chapter about abnormal psychology, and those different reasons probably also influence the style of the writing.

  

2 comments:

  1. Hello, peter
    When I read your article, it makes me funny in myself. I’m studying in academic reading and writing but I don’t know how to use it in daily life. I think it just can help me in any test because I agree with you said when I want to contact my friends or my parents. I have to use simple English and simple vocabulary, so I have to find my really answer continuously. If I found it I’ll tell you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krich,
    I don't write academic essays for exams, and I don't think Stephen Law does either, at least not since he stopped being a student.

    Outside of exams, in what situation might you want to write, if not an essay, at least in an academic style? Why?

    Oh, and welcome back to our blog.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.