Tuesday 11 November 2008

Peter's Batrachophobia

I've just read Am's post about her fear of house lizards, which reminded me of my own batrachophobia. I was terrified of frogs from as early as I could remember, although unlike Am, I don't remember any particular incident that started it. It was a very inconvenient phobia to have because there were a lot of frogs in the area where my family lived. It was also very embarrassing. I knew that there was nothing dangerous about the green frogs I saw around the place, but of course phobias are not rational. I didn't want anyone to know that I was scared of frogs, but my reactions were similar to the symptoms Am described so well: I would freeze and be unable to move, my heart beat faster, and I would look for a way to escape. As with Am and house lizards, my usual policy was avoidance. Thankfully, this phobia has faded over the years, and although I still don't like frogs, they no longer terrify quite so much. I don't meet that many on Silom Road, but occasionally I see one in Lumpini Park, although I think the large lizards which live there eat most of the frogs, as they do the turtles. 
Oddly, my fear of frogs is very specific to frogs. I'm not especially afraid of any other animal: if I know they are not poisonous, I can pick up snakes and lizards, and other reptiles, it's just the amphibians, and specifically the frogs, of which I am scared for no good reason. 
So, am I abnormal? 

2 comments:

  1. "Thankfully, this phobia has faded over the years, and although I still don't like frogs, they no longer terrify quite so much." How do you overcome? Why do you scare now?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.