Tuesday 25 November 2008

How about my first essay? -- MAA

Nov 16 evening: Since I got the five choices, I read each choice roughly. I have no ideas about them. I checked the references which came along with. I searched and read it all (I cannot recall what the internet told me). I went back to the choices and looked for the purpose of each choice. I got it, the questions. I still did not select any choices.

Nov 17: I thought about this on the way sometimes. I reviewed the questions again in the evening. I selected one! Why I chose this? I feel bored (sorry I don’t know other words softer than “bored”) about the others: abortion, eating meat vs moral, and democracy. The two others are interesting: marry and culture. I select the “culture” question, because there would have more vocabularies related to this aspect that I have not know before. I selected this, but I still did not how to answer that question. Does my country’s ministry of culture do more to help or to harm my country’s culture?

Nov 18: Peter picked up the key words of each question in class. I still thought about the question of my choice sometimes and also searched what the ministry does to help the culture in Thailand. I got a lot of positive information, but just few info about the harm, such as How about the roles of the ministry’s culture for a case of murder in the newspaper. It was not much clear and I did not understand the points of that article.

Nov 20 evening: Peter suggested looking at the definition of each key word. I used the Longman dictionary to list the definition of the “culture”. There are six definitions of the culture. I still could not answer that question and writer thesis statement.

Nov 21-22: I stopped thinking about this to do something which was more important.

Nov 23: I was trying to have a thesis statement to send for the assignment with deadline today. I have reviewed a Thai newspaper with the hope that they may say something about this ministry. However, they did not tell anything about the ministry. I went back to the details of this choice. Aha! That passage says the ministry of culture is a part of the government, but I still unknown how to answer the question. Because it hardly has the harm by the ministry. However, I ought to have a thesis statement now. Finally at late tonight. I wrote this statement just to answer the question but I still have no idea for the rest of that essay.

“Although the Ministry of Culture provided many supports and preserves good traditional cultures in Thailand, some people argue that actually they are behind the government who sometimes release the violation of those cultures.”

The second statement does not much change from the first statement.
“Although the Ministry of Culture provided many supports and preserves good traditional cultures in Thailand, some people argue that actually they are behind the government who sometimes release the violation of those cultures themselves”

Nov 24: We discuss each of our thesis statement together. I have chance to look back mine. Hmm! There is something wrong with my essay. My answer does not clear enough. I have changed to this statement (3rd).

“Although the Ministry of Culture provides many supports and preserves good traditional cultures in Thailand, I think they are an important part behind the government who sometimes release the violation of those cultures happen in the country simultaneously.”

Nov 25: The day that I have to send the first paragraph of the essay, the introduction part. I still cannot find any reasons to support this. I just received the Peter’s comment today. I went back to read the question again. I saw this “more”, so I thought I should change my answer. Also that is why I could not find any supports for the pervious answer. I can start the first part now. Woo!

8 comments:

  1. As I read Ma's daily notes on the planning of her essay, I thought a bit more about mine, and what I was doing.
    My thesis statement changed as I thought about what I could and could not support, and what was needed to answer the question.
    It got clearer in my mind when I decided what my definition of abstain from killing would be, and why I thought other definitions were not very good (negation).
    I also found that it helped me to sort out the definition separate from the rest of the question: that is, just define "abstain from killing" without even thinking about Buddhism or the first precept. When I had a clear definition that seemed OK, I could then apply that to the actual question and write my thesis statement.

    It was useful reading another person's account of how they have approached this question so far.

    Thank you Ma for posting it. I'm sure it will also be helpful to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad there was at least one question that was not boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This thesis statement is the forth version. "I admire that our ministry of culture do more grateful helps with cultured activities to support the strength of moral principles, the cost of socioeconomic development, and the harmony of nationals." It seems fairy simple and not much tried to get ideas for the nexts.

    But I think this statement may not be interesting compares to the previous one and may not be enough persuade the reader's interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oho...P'Ma How can you wrote a long paragraph diary in the blog? I wish I could do it. How long you write diary?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Aom - I was quite surprised at the length.

    I guess Ma was keeping her short notes somewhere else, perhaps in MS Word, and then published them yesterday. Ma, is that what you did?
    Anyway, it's very good. Keeping that sort of record can be helpful for the writer, and sharing it helps everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually I saw Peter’s post and I guess he may like us to do so. I kept writing in MS Word everyday and just post that day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I have just see it. It's very long, but I like this post. the language easy to understand and follow smoothly. I wish I can write and speak correct and easy to understand like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also thought Ma's language was fluent and easy to read.

    Some of the things Ma wrote remind me of things I do: I think about the question I'm answering as I'm walking to and from AUA, trying out different things in my head, and what sort of support I would need for them. And then whether or not that support actually exists.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.