Monday 9 May 2016

Are dating apps good ideas?

Screen shot showing the picture
and caption that got my interest.
Source background
According to "How Robyn Exton grew popular lesbian dating app Her," Suzanne Bearne says that although the meeting app Her for lesbian and bisexual women has yet to make a profit, it has earned a good name among the growing group of women who use it for dating and networking (2016). Author Suzanne Bearne also tells us that founder Robyn Exton began it by giving out free hard alcohol to women who agreed to try it out under the original name of Datch, but that she now has more substantial investment that has allowed her to move out of her father's home to join the tech. scene in San Francisco, where Her, her app, continues to grow.

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Are dating apps good ideas?

My answer is:
Yes, they seem to work for many people. 

It was the drug picture of tequila shots with bright green lemon, and the caption under it, that caught my eye as I was looking for a useful BBC News story to blog with my morning coffee. Of all the versions of alcohol popularly used by addicts and non-addicts, tequila has always seemed to me one of the worst, but I remember from my own days in the heady gay liberation scene of Sydney in the 1970s and 80s that tequila and other hard forms of alcohol were popular with the lesbians. Then again, alcohol and other drugs were also popular with the men and most people having an active social live at the time.

When I clicked on the story, and saw that it was in the Business section, which I don't normally look at, I almost passed, but it did meet my prime criterion: the author's name was there, and I needed an author's name to strike-through. The name of the dating app also caused a couple of jerks as I read the article, even for the second and third times. It's hard to read, "Her was born from Ms Exton's frustration," and not think there was a weird grammar mistake. It is, however, a cool name for the app, and after my third reading in preparation to write my Source Background section above, the automatic proofreading warnings were at least more quickly squashed.

The story I really wanted to respond to was about the criminalizing by Chinese authorities of the erotic eating of bananas, but that one doesn't have an author name, hence the quick browsing and choice of the story about Exton's app for women who like women. On the whole, I'm happy found it: the memories it brought back of how ugly the common social consensus abut gay sex was only a few short decades ago, and the awareness of how quickly Western society has progressed morally in just a few decades was a cheerful start to the day.

I much prefer coffee to tequila to start my day. But now my coffee is finished and I haven't done my daily quota of commenting and replying! And I haven't said much to support my answer to the Yes/No question I asked, but there is the comments section.
___________
Reference
Bearne, S. (2016, May 9). How Robyn Exton grew popular lesbian dating app Her. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36202226

8 comments:

  1. Yes, they are because dating apps enable people in the world to communicate with one another. So, you possibly find your sweetheart overseas. For example, my aunt graduated master's degree from University of Wollongong in Australia. By the way, she used dating applications via computer to find the man who had similar personalities and was reasonable. And then, she found an Australian man, an electrical engineer and he also was her boyfriend for 4 years before marrying with her.

    I think dating apps help people (men, women, gays and lesbians) to find their lover. If you can't be her husband (or anything else depending on your gender), you may be her pals. Thus, not only you can find your lover, but you probably get news buddies.

    However, if you are a gay or a lesbian and you live with another like husband-wife, you shouldn't adopt any children as when their children are a teenager, it's tough for them to live in society with other people. For instance, some of their friends don't want these teenagers to play and do activities with them or do something to these youngsters that enable them not to go to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dating apps are really popular nowadays. It enable us to talk, flirt and meet with lots of people all around the world.

    For me, dating apps are just the time-killer. It may probably better chatting, also flirting, with someone than watching the boring program on TV in this incredibly hot weather. There're very few chances that your soulmate will come from dating apps. How can you even trust them, if you don't even meet them or get to know them at least a years.

    Dating apps can be the good ideas making you feel happy just in the short-term. It's totally another thing for a long and sincere relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'm the only one that think dating app is not going to work properly. One of my friend she is an American, once she did try the dating app. You might not believe it but what's inside the dating app is not true love or even a so called love. Dating apps have gone far about sexual stuffs, people tend to have those sex involved conversation rather than talk about love. At first i thought dating app is for finding your lovers or partners but when my friend once had entered that world, it's not as beautiful as anyone think of it's much more insane than anyone can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think that is good ideas too. Dating via applications seems like a playing game or even doing business. There would be no sincere affection; rather, it is the source of sexual stuff, making money, and so on. One of obvious examples is yours. More examples can be found on general news. Perhaps, these apps would be too dangerous to use it because we don’t know exactly to whom we are talking. Unreliable are using such apps for their own sake. That can cause several problems in terms of losing money, sexual harassment and the like.

      However, such apps is not terrible by themselves, but users who use inappropriately make them bad. Even though some people may not use like that, please be always careful to use them.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Nan. You might hardly find the true love from there. And now it has degenerated from the original purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dating app works well in some country. However, you need to find a trustworthy one. I heard about dating program with use mathematics and statics to match their clients which work quite well and popular among adults.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it depends on person. Some people usually use dating app for really make new friends and sometimes it is very useful to learn about new culture if those friends live abroad. On the other hand, others try to use dating app for something that is not good and might influence to some problem.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.