Friday 13 May 2016

Do you know what a Chinese helicopter is?

Source background
In "'Chinese helicopter': Singlish OED entry baffles Singaporeans," Helen Chen (2016) writes that she and many other Singaporeans "have been baffled" by the definition of the new noun Chinese helicopter, which has recently been added to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), along with other other words of Singaporean origin. Chen reports that whilst the OED thinks it important to recognise the contributions of all the cultures that continue to enrich English, some Singaporeans think it favours English over the other cultural elements that make up modern Singapore.

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Do you know what a Chinese helicopter is? 

My answer is:
Yes, I do now, but I never could have guessed before, unless the context cues told me.  

OED entry for Chinese helicopter
Had the definition and an explanation not been given, I would never have guessed what a Chinese helicopter was. I might have guessed something from the quotations that the OED cites to support the inclusion of this new word, which has clearly been an English word, at least in the Singaporean version of English, and that word has now been given international recognition. Actually, when I checked, the new term was added to the OED in March this year, so it's not that recent ("Chinese helicopter, n." 2016), but most people probably don't spend their time browsing the new words that are constantly being added to the OED.

I think it's cool that English, unlike French and some other languages, has no official body that pretends to dictate what is correct and incorrect in matters of vocabulary, grammar or style. Shakespeare would have laughed at such silly official presumption had the great Queen Elizabeth, who led England to a golden age, tried to interfere in his use and creative reinvention of English. And I'm pretty sure that the sensible French people largely ignore the august pronouncements of the their Académie française as they eagerly borrow words from English to the great distress of the purists.

Screen snip of bogan in the OED
Note added at 9:19 PM - bogan, n. 
I just finished preparing for my writing class tomorrow morning, and it occurred to me that an old Aussie word that my young nieces and nephews were baffling me with a few years ago might also have made it, so I checked, and there it was: also since March 2016, the noun bogan has been recognized with a permanent entry in the OED! (The page snip shows it being new in the 3rd. (and current) edition. The publication history shows it was added March 2016).

Publication history for bogan, n
I wouldn't normally edit a post like like this after publishing it, but I can't add the screen snip image in a comment.
___________
Reference
Chen, H. (2016, May 13). 'Chinese helicopter': Singlish OED entry baffles Singaporeans. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36283670

Chinese helicopter, n. (2016, March 13). In "Chinese, adj. and n." OED Online. Retrieved from http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/31770?redirectedFrom=chinese+helicopter#eid1208819190
[Because the OED requires a subscription for access, I've copied and pasted the relevant part of the entry into this MS Word document.]

9 comments:

  1. This blog makes me think about my own language,Thai, that the new words and vocabularies have been added a lots from the past. Our slang usually comes up depending on the trend. Sometimes they're cool and funny for me, but I also realize that if we change and add up too many slang, does it ruin the language too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Fang. I wonder what your classmates think about it. I'm actually working at the moment, not relaxing with coffee, so I'll share my ideas on your question later.

      Delete
    2. I definitely think it would ruin the language though. As you see so many thai teenagers are using slang without knowing how do those words come from and i have seen some teenagers whom didn't know what the old word is so they just use the slang ones and forget about the official words. I think if most people are still keeping on using these slangs, it will definitely ruin our language.

      Delete
    3. But I think changes of the existing words and the addition of new words by a lot of slang might not ruin the original language because they were created by a specific group of people in one period and someday would automatically disappear. And this process of slang happens over and over. The thing that we should be concern about is the overuse of slang that makes people so confused that they forget how to use the original words correctly and properly.

      Language is always changeable according to time and users. It is alive and beautiful in itself, albeit being slang.

      Of course, unchangeable language is a dead one.

      Delete
  2. After I had read your interesting question, I suddenly thought about one kind of helicopters in the world and then I searched Chinese helicopter on Google. At that time, I thought it was similar to Thai helicopters. So, I would read your response. I found out that I definitely misunderstand!

    I believe I will see this word in newspapers, films or magazines soon. Regarding English language, it's great to have chances to make new words every time because making new words enables something relating to English language become interesting. For example, you will have more synonyms and antonyms that let you to be able to write a lot of style of articles or essays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that "Chinese helicopter man" may not be happy with this meaning by OED, It's quite bias. However, There are many words in Thai that given from mispronunciation of foreign language for example, "ราชประแตน" (Rad-cha-pra-tan) was changed from "Rajah's pattern) means one of traditional Thai costumes for male.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I didn't know before read your blog. At first I thought it's a kind of helicopter made by Chinese because so many things "made in China" or "made in RPC" nowadays. Thank you for your interested information!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is an extremely discrimination of Singaporean's society. I couldn't imagine that kind of thought. Even the country with such high standard education also felt unsatisfied their populations. On the contrary, I think their knowledge about Mandarin is worse than English. Maybe, their milestone is to communicate like native English speaker.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.