Friday 6 May 2016

Do you read news on your smartphone?

Source background
In "Surprise! People will actually read long news stories on their smartphones" (2016), Hayley Tsukayama tells us that regarding a new survey from the Pew Research Center, it shows, somewhat surprisingly, that people reading on mobile devices actually spend more time with longer articles (stories longer than 1,000 words) on their phones than they do with shorter ones.

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Do you read news on your smartphone?

My answer is:
Yes, I do. 

I usually read news via smartphone once a day in the morning. After I wake up and have breakfast, I will stay in my living room and read news or new information via my smartphone. Firstly, I always read sport news, especially soccer because I love to play soccer and watch soccer matches with my younger brother on weekends.

In terms of soccer news, I really like to read it and I choose websites depending on what I want to know. For example, when I want to check scores in real time, I will check them on www.livescore.com.  Additionally, I'm a fan of Manchester United FC. Thus, I always peruse its news, such as exchanging players between teams in the same league or previewing matches by coaches, players or its fan club via www.manutd.com.  

Furthermore, after I read sport news, I will read others I'm interest. For instance, last two months, I read the scientific news about how to treat your pimples on your face. it shows that you should drink three cups of water after waking up as drinking water can release lots of waste in your body. In other words, an urinary bladder is able to contain urine at maximum 500 ml. Therefore, if you drink three cups of water (approximately 600-750 ml), your excretory system will release a lot of waste in your body. Consequently, I pursue this act to cure many pimples on my face and chin.

I believe that reading news helps me to get new experience to adapt in my life. For example, I am able to do good scores in social studies because in this subject, teachers usually ask questions about recently news. In addition, I can learn successful people's thoughts, like why Mark Zuckerberg think Facebook is wanted by many people in the world or how The Charoen Pokphand Group (CP) manage its employees and systems effectively.  

Presently, I suggest my younger brother to peruse news via his smartphone although he don't like to read news.
___________
Reference
Tsukayama, H. (2016, May 5). Surprise! people will actually read long news stories on their smartphones. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/05/05/surprise-people-will-actually-read-long-news-stories-on-their-smartphones/

10 comments:

  1. I don't normally read news articles on my phone, but I do read novels and books. At the moment, I'm reading a couple of things on Kindle. One is Think by Nigel Blackburn, which I'm reading because I'm looking for a challenging but not too difficult reading for another class; Blackburn writes good introductions to various areas of philosophy. I haven't found what I want yet, but it's fun to get new perspectives on topics I already know. The second thing I'm reading is The Vivisector, which is my favourite novel by Australia's only Nobel laureate in literature, Patrick White. If it weren't for Jane Austen, White would probably be at the top of my greatest novelists list. Unfortunately, he's not very well known outside of Australia, but to be fair, I don't know most other nations' great writers. There is so much to read and so little time.

    But having a whole library on your phone and tablet, all conveniently synching, is great for filling in those minutes between Chongnonsri and Siam BTS stations. I don't like writing more than a short message on my phone, but it's quite OK for a bit of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Peter. I often use my phone for texting and watching the online series, but for most of the readings I prefer to read them in the kind of paper.So, I usually read a newspaper or watch the news on TV.

    I like MUFC too. It's a great team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the liberation from paper versions of newspapers and magazines. I've subscribed to a few newspapers and magazines for many years now, long enough to remember the old days when they came on paper. It meant growing piles of paper cluttering up my home. ANd have you ever tried to search for that article you remember reading about three months ago through a pile of paper?
      Ugh. Give me online any day.
      I think it's about two years since I've even bought a paper book.

      And this reminds me of the AUA teachers' lounge, which is the only place I still even look at paper versions of newspapers. And that reminds me of the odd worries people have about groups sitting together and looking at their smart devices, which is not so different to what people did back in the old fashioned print days, except that at my family breakfast table, we had arguments about who got which bits of the paper next!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your opinion, Fang. I believe many people in the globalization era use their smart phone to send messages to other people because you don't have to pay money on texting (use some apps in smart phone).

      Regarding watching the online series, I prefer watching via my computer to watching via my smart phone as I don't have to gaze movies and I desire to watch through big screen.

      I feel happy that some people in this class like MUFC like me :)

      Delete
  3. I read news on my phones sometimes, but not much. For news, I prefer to watch it on TV rather than follow it on other kinds of news (such as newspapers and radios). News on TV attracts me a lot owing to its new reporters’ sound together with style, interesting video, live interview, simply compressible visual graphic presentation and stuff like that.

    Actually, I don’t like reading long pieces of work like books, magazines and others as well. Paper-based versions seem more convenient for me to read and sometimes mark something on them, although now there are many IT devices to do like that. My feelings are different when comparing reading on paper-based and technology-based versions. The former ones are comfortable to read for long time and to change pages. Still, I have lots of PDF files on my phone and computers which are easily portable and ready to use in anywhere for either briefly reading or searching for some information quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that watching news on TV is more interesting than reading from newspaper or listening to radios as in TV programs, they consist of animation and professional reporters.

      Indeed, some of my friends think like you that they prefer reading news on papers to reading on smart phones or other IT devices. Perhaps, reading via IT devices makes your eyes become tired as a result of various colored-light that comes to your couple of eyes.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I do. Normally, everyday in the morning, messenger will send me a newspaper at my house's mailbox. However, nowadays there are applications or website on smartphone that people can read news for free. Hence, it is very convenience for me to follow and update the news. Furthermore, I can read news from different news agency. Not only I can read thai news from the thai agency such as Thairath, but I can also read the international news from BBC. And I can read it everywhere or every time I want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't usually read news from smartphone.I prefer to watch on TV programs. I hate reading news either it's on newspaper or magazine, i prefer to have someone to read it for me and i can enjoy watching them hearing their voice as in expression.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say that I think the worst thing to watch on TV is news shows. The number of words that can be spoken in short news clip is very small, so they can't give much information or solid support.

    I don't think that any TV news can help anyone be well informed on a topic. To understand a topic well seems to me to require reading more substantial articles in different news sources, especially useful are opinions we disagree with. If we can't answer different ideas, then perhaps our own opinions are wrong. And if an idea can't legally be stated, it is certain that lawful opinion on the topic being censored is untested, uncorrected, and therefore not knowledge, so pretty much worthless however large a percentage of society believes the popular but untested opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.