Monday 16 May 2016

Do you prefer smoothies?

Source background
According to “Ask Well: The Downside of Smoothies” (2016), Roni Caryn Rabin says that smoothies tend to contain more calories and sugars than raw fruits and vegetables, even though it does not add any other ingredients. Smoothies can be drunk in just a few minutes, so people tend to consume more than usual. In addition, drinking smoothies makes people feel hungry again sooner because the fiber is cut. Moreover, smoothies which sold in shops contain a lot of additional substances.

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Do you prefer smoothies?

My answer is:
No, I do not like them.

Smoothies are similar to baby’s food which I think is disgusting. The texture is bad and it smells like fruit market. I prefer eating whole fruit to drinking smoothies. Actually, it might be because I don’t like to eat more than one type of fruit at the same time.

Apple is one of my favorite fruit. I can eat it all day without eating anything else, except water. However, some apples do not sweet at all and this make me bored because I have to finish it all. Seedless grape, dragon fruit and melon are other fruit that I love, they are sweet but not sour.


In recent years, people tend to aware of their health, so they start eating healthy foods and doing more exercises. I think it is a good idea and I try to follow this trend. However, I still love delicious foods which contain a lot of protein and fat but I eat more fruit and vegetable. I am too lazy to exercises, even though I have done some but it is still not enough to make me healthy.
___________
Reference
Rabin, R. (2016, May 13) Ask Well: The Downside of Smoothies. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/ask-well-the-downside-of-smoothies/?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fhealth&action=click&contentCollection=health&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

14 comments:

  1. I like to drink smoothies after I go jogging at Lumpini Park. There's a tiny smoothies shop at the food zone near the park. They use the raw fruit to make smoothies and add up the syrup, salt, and sugar. I always take coconut, which makes me fresh again after exercise.

    You shouldn't miss to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love drinking smoothie. It's one kind of my favorite drink ever! According to my preference to milk, some smoothie contain milk as one of the ingredients. Also some of the smoothies help with my digestive system, such as berries smoothies. I always buy smoothies after school when i was in grade 12, i would just walk to the shop and order some smoothies with my friend, it was such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in the university, I loved to drink Oreo and Nesvita blended with milk. I think it is very delicious but very sweet.

      Delete
  3. yes, i do love smoothie. And i also do know that it contain a lot of sugar, but i prefer it more than other drink. So to solve this problem, I do my own smoothie which i don't add sugar, just fresh fruits and yogurt and some milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I don't like smoothies, I think it is better than many other drink, such as soft drinks that contain a lot of sugar. And it is a good idea that you make your own smoothies.

      Delete
  4. I rarely drink smoothies as I don't want to spend 35 baht on these that sold in stalls or 100 baht on these that sold in malls or luxurious shops. This sounds ridiculous for me.

    When I read your source background, I was quite surprised because of this sentence "smoothies tend to contain more calories and sugars than raw fruits and vegetables, even though it does not add any other ingredients." I think that it sounds weird. According to Scientific lessons, when you eat fruit or blend fruit before drinking, you surely get amount of sugar equally because amount of matters are the same though changed their form.

    Some people believe drinking smoothies enables them healthier. That's OK if you drink them without adding some sugar and other ingredients. On the contrary, if you buy them from either stalls or famous shops, surely, they always add more sugar or other things that make these smoothies sweeter and more delicious. Thus, This act doesn't help you to become healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in the sentence that worrying you, the writer want to tell that people tend to drink more smoothies than they eat raw fruits. So the more the total amount, the more the calories and sugars.

      I think smoothies are not that healthy. However, for someone who hate vegetables and fruits, it is better to drink smoothies than having only carbohydrate and protein.

      Delete
    2. OK, Thanks for your adding explanation. Nevertheless, if you hate vegetables and fruit and choose to drink smoothies instead of them, This act is surely wrong! many vitamins you need are not enough if drinking only smoothies. Indeed, this is the big problem presently that some people hate vegetables or fruit, and avoid eating them instead of try to eat them.

      Delete
  5. I like to drink smoothies. When I feel tired or sleepy, drinking smoothies makes me feel refresh. As it contains high sugar and calories, I prefer not to drink it even if I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like smoothies, strawberry yogurt is my favorite one. However my mom always says that drinking ice flake like that is really harmful to your health. Thus, I have to drink them without my mom knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like smoothies! I always think smoothies that do not contain any additional ingredient like sugar syrup are healthy and I eat them when I want to diet. So I was surprised that these smoothies contain more calories and sugar that fresh fruits and vegetable. Even I don't know why these smoothies contain more sugar and calories, for now on I will choose to eat fresh fruits instead of smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with Wan’s answers. Her explanation and reason in the 1st paragraph of her answer is similar to what I want to say.

    Almost every morning I have to walk pass the smoothies shop and I still wonder why many people love drinking it despite strong smell and repulsive texture. Yuck!

    Yet, I realize that smoothies is healthful drink. Poor me, I cannot drink it. What a pity!

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.