Thursday 5 May 2016

Do you believe in anti-aging supplements?


Red hair

Source background
Reported by James Gallagher, "'Secret' of youthful looks in ginger gene" (2016) states that the gene linked to "perceived age",the MC1R gene, has been found. Many variants of the MC1R gene cause ginger hair, so the MC1R gene gets its nickname, the ginger gene. The study organised by the Erasmus University Medical Centre said that some variants of the gene made the "perceived age" of their owner 2 years less than other variants. Still, it needs more research to find the "fountain of youth" and ways to reduce the "perceived age."
_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Do you believe in anti-aging supplements?

My answer is:
No, I don't and never will I. 

I think anti-aging supplements are nothing but exaggerated product claims. The company added so many ingredients thought to be useful and advertise them. However, I don't think human's body has an ability to absorb that many nutrients. In my opinion, naturally, we eat fruits and vegetables and the nutrients are absorbed little by little. Thus, it's better for us to eat fruits and vegetables regularly than to eat any supplements on Earth.

The two things I believe to make someone age more slowly are healthy diets and exercises. Though I do not exercise very often, I have some attempts to do so. I have to admit that I'm not a sporty girl, and I'm not keen on playing sports. The only sport I'm good at is swimming. I used to swim every week when I was in secondary school. However, when I was in high school, I didn't have much time, so I usually skipped my swimming schedule. As I have more time, I'm trying to swim more regularly these days. I do eat healthy diets. I believe that you are what you eat. I'm also trying to refrain from eating junks and sweets, but my attempt often fails when my friends invite me to join them..

If the researchers succeed in finding the "fountain of youth," I won't have to do such boring things as eating healthy food or doing exercise. Now that they haven't succeeded yet, I still have to. What about you? Do you believe in those anti-aging supplements (that let you age more slowly without having to exercise or eat any healthy diets)?
___________
Reference
Gallagher, J. (2016, April 29). 'Secret' of youthful looks in ginger gene. BBC News. Retrieved         from http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36133475

12 comments:

  1. I had a couple of very different responses to Kam's post. First, I was reminded of the excellent series of vampire novels by Ann Rice, who deftly weaves her previous erotica writing into the lives of the undead, who have indeed solved the problem of immortality, only to discover a host of sophisticated new problems. I think Rice's vampires make the Twilight ones seem a bit childish.

    The second response was also to be reminded of a piece of literature, but this time a paper published in the journal Science - but I've done enough commenting for this morning's coffee, so more on this one later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And just now a friend FBs this: "The Interview With a Vampire Reboot Is Actually Happening."

      But to compete with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt doing Anne Rice?

      Delete
    2. I have to admit that I'm a twilight, the movie you considered childish, fan, but not a big one. I may have to try reading and watching the recommended series when I have time. It seems to be more grown-up and sophisticated to me.

      As I'm interested in this topic, would you mind giving more information about that piece of literature?

      Delete
    3. Though I haven't watch Interview with a Vampire original film (It was released before I was born), I'm quite sure that the reboot film maker will have to work really hard to compete with the original one.

      Delete
    4. Kam, sorry I got distracted. The abstract for the paper, published last month, is available without subscription at: "NAD+ repletion improves mitochondrial and stem cell function and enhances life span in mice," 2016.

      Delete
  2. Yes, but may be we can't use them because It's spend lots of time (may be 500-4000 years) inventing anti-aging supplements that let your age slowly without exercising or eating any healthy diets.

    If you thought about 100 years ago, people would believe that it was impossible to communicate with other people everywhere you live. Yet, presently, inventor can create mobile phones that are easy to carry and are very cheap.

    Furthermore, since 2010, smart phones, especially iPhone, have played a vital role to many people in the world. people can use smart phones to read news, chat with their friends or family, take photos or take selfies. That makes the world become globalization era.

    Regarding anti-aging supplements, I think in the future, intelligent and creative scientists probably make them or they will able to make something awesome, like the time machine or Iron Man's armors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got your point. When I answered the question, I was thinking only of the near future. Thinking of the time beyond our lifetime, I would have to change my answer to yes. I wish humanity didn't have to wait that long to use practical anti-aging supplements. :(

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it might be possible. The advent of state-of-art medical science and technology play a crucial role in our modern society, which brings about a wide variety of new medicines and treatments for health problems. Meanwhile, the number of health business also increase rapidly; they tend to use propaganda to make their product remarkable in order to gain as high profit as possible. Regretfully, it general works very well on marketing victims, specifically women. As we all are consumers, we should realize and be more careful about consuming any products for our own sake.

    Whether anti-aging supplements is available now or not might be not as significant as how we avoid believing many strategic marketing and propaganda in media which are somewhat powerful and quickly widespread. This would be useful for not only a supplementary diet product, but also for other products.

    Kam’s suggestion in her post about retarding the process of growing old sounds interesting. It can save your money to buy doubtful supplements and make you healthier holistically and naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that the practical anti-aging supplements will be available in the near future. As the scientists are far from understanding the "fountain of youth", let alone inventing the supplements.However, I do agree with you on the latter part. We shouldn't be victims of advertisement or marketing strategies and shouldn't let the propaganda fool us. It is imperative that one understand the function of the supplements before consuming or purchasing them.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Kam, and would generalize a little: it's always a good idea to get solid evidence before believing some claim about the world, or at least to be sure that such evidence does exist - I think we need to trust experts, since it's impossible to verify everything for ourselves. "I heard it on FB" does not sound to me like a good reason to beleive something, unless the FB source gave details and cited sources, as, for example, the credible articles on Wikipedia do.

      Delete
    3. I agree with Kam, and would generalize a little: it's always a good idea to get solid evidence before believing some claim about the world, or at least to be sure that such evidence does exist - I think we need to trust experts, since it's impossible to verify everything for ourselves. "I heard it on FB" does not sound to me like a good reason to beleive something, unless the FB source gave details and cited sources, as, for example, the credible articles on Wikipedia do.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.