Saturday 7 May 2016

Do you use powder product in your daily life?

Source background
According to "Johnson & Johnson hit with $55m damages in talc cancer case" (2016), company Johnson & Johnson (J&J) has been judged to pay more than 55$ in compensation for customer who says she used its talc-based powder product daily for decades and the product caused her ovarian cancer. Even though J&J faces about 1,200 similar cases, the company insists that its products are safe. However, using talcum powder, particularly on the genital has been concerned that it may increase the risk of ovarian cancer. But this issue is still unproven.

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Do you use power product in your daily life?

My answer is:
Yes, I do.

Normally, I use power product every day after I take a bath. I have been using baby powder since I was a child. I think it is like a habit that I have to use it in my everyday life. And I also love using powder because it makes me feel fresh and clean when I use it. It smells very good and it makes my body has fragrant scent. However, after I read this article, I start concerning about using this kind of products as it may be harmful to my health. Even though the article said it is unproven that using talcum powder may increase the risk of ovarian cancer, but I think the number of one thousand and two hundred claims that the company J&J faces is high enough to make people aware of using these products.

Moreover, I think most of Thai people are familiar with using power products especially cooling powder as you know that weather in Thailand is very hot. Many Thai people use it to make them more comfortable and feel cooler in the hot weather. Therefore, companies producing this kind of products should explain and speak out about their ingredients in order to make sure that their products are safe and not harmful to human’s health.


As I read this article, I also wonder that what will be happen if this case happens in Thailand. I think the customer may not get fair compensation because protection law in Thailand does not support customer's rights sufficiently. And it’s different from other countries that seriously concern about rights of customer such as America. For example, in this article, an American customer can claim for their rights when the customer is affected from using Johnson&Johnson’s powder product and she get fair and reasonable compensation from the company.


___________
Reference
Johnson & Johnson hit with $55m damages in talc cancer case. (2016, May 3). BCC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36191495

10 comments:

  1. Yes, I do. but I use of other brand because once I used the product of Johnson & Johnson for my face, I got some rash on my face by an allergy. Actually, Johnson & Johnson is the brand that promotes themselves as a gentle product which suit for baby skin. After I read this article and from my incident, I'm not sure if I use other products that made by Johnson & Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don’t use much since I was a child. I also heard about its cons such as, don’t inhale it or use on your face or make them into your body. The powder which is stayed inside your body can cause a problem. Even some people think the label "baby powder" means safe and can use any part for any purpose.

    The evidence to show the relation between the talc and the ovarian cancer may not be strong enough. However, in the developed country the customer's right is protected very well. Only the small evidence can push the manufacturers to proof the suspicion. I think it's the burden of them to provide the sufficient information to their customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Yet, if the weather is very hot, I sometimes use cooling powder to lesson heat on my body.

      Speaking of safety from using powder products, I must thank you guys for useful information in the negative side of them. Union’s comment has added more intriguing information to Ant’s post as well. All business regarding daily-life products would be profit-oriented, and we, as their customers, should use carefully. Customer’s right is also important. To cares people’s living in society would be one of key success factors for every company.

      Johnson&Johnson’s problem and solution will be an interesting, good case study for other company. I hope like that.

      Delete
  3. No, I don't use but I think my parents applied powder for me when I was a baby. The sensitive skin can easily to react with powder. My first time to try cool powder was in Thailand, and I liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like cool powder eventhough i don't like using powder products. To be honest, Thai's weather is so hot that you gotta find something to cool your body down and cool powder sounds like a great idea.

      Delete
  4. I seldom use them. However if you feel it is not comfortable to use kind of synthetic powder products, there're organic power which made from rice. This alternative choice may not harm to your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's sound interesting. I haven't heard of organic powder before and it quite a good idea to use it instead of talc power. Thank you for your suggestion.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. I don't use powder product at all. As I have allergy for powder since i was a child which is the main reason why i don't use power products. I also don't like using them too, sometimes i think it's a waste oh time putting powder on your face, maybe just me but i think it doesn't change much in your look. Some girls put powder on as one kind of make-up, maybe because i'm not grown up enough or i just don't have time myself, i have never ever think about using these products at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to use it when I was a child. I remember that my mother always apply talcum powder to me after taking a shower. Unfortunately, I can't remember about feeling after using talcum powder. Perhaps, I will try it again because of your blog post.

    Regarding the news, I believe that if you don't use talcum powder on the genital, bad things might not happen as many people use Johnson&Johnson’s powder for a long time and they also aren't affected on any parts of their body. So, this news reminds you to not use talcum powder on the genital, but you still can use it in your life.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.