Monday 16 May 2016

Is my choice of art for our Classroom group well-chosen?

Source background
I use a variety of works of art by my favourite painter for the different classes I have on Classroom. For our class, I use Jug, Candle And Enamel Pan, which Picasso painted in 1945.
Jug, Candle And Enamel Pan (1945), Pablo Picasso 
_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Is my choice of art for our Classroom group well-chosen?

My answer is:
Yes, but since I chose it, I'm unlikely to say anything else here, although I have thought of switching it for a different work. 

I like this work, and Picasso generally, because ...

Your turn; except to say that he reminds me of writers such as Shakespeare and Vergil, even Homer, I don't want to prejudice anyone by saying why I like Picasso's work or this particular painting. Oddly, my enjoyment of art is very limited, and came relatively late in life. I could never see what others saw in what they said were great works of art. But this is not entirely true when I think about it: I did enjoy drawing messes with colours as a child, and mixing up paints until all I had left was a pretty awful grey. I think I might have given up on art because of my own consistent failures in primary school. But again, as I write this, a few memories of enjoying making shapes and playing with colour came back to me. Some were very crafty things, where we spent an age making positive and negative shapes of lambs and things (a blue lamb traced from a wooden template is the one that comes to mind).

Until I got to university, I found mathematics and science much easier than English, which was really the only arts - humanities subject I studied in high school, although I had already begun reading philosophy, including aesthetics and ethics, but those weren't subjects on the high school syllabus.

Some other Picassos I considered for our Classroom cover image are these:
Woman Reading (1953)
Woman Writing (1934)



Still Life With Bull's Skull (1939)
___________
Reference
Picasso, P. (1948). Jug, Candle And Enamel Pan [Painting]. Retrieved from http://www.wikiart.org/en/pablo-picasso/jug-candle-and-enamel-pan-1945

4 comments:

  1. I think your choices of art on Monday are good because they show entirely different feelings, colors, shapes,unity, ratio, equilibrium, and aspects. These three pictures can portray something in each era. For example, we are able to know Italy's traditional and culture about architecture and dressing when wee look at Aquila degli Abruzi

    Additionally, when you see Street Scene, Haiti, you may be surprised about the beautiful place where dark skin people live. In contrast, some people might realize that most dark skin people are poor and get low education. That completely contrasts!

    The other one is also interesting. This picture enables you to know the intention of the artist when drawing high status people.

    Regarding when you (teacher peter) are young, some of your life is similar to me, so it makes me recall when I studied in primary school. I used to try to practise drawing and painting pictures when I studied in grade 5, definitely, since that day, I have realized that I haven't good enough in art. Thus, I chose to study at maths-science instead of art in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think your choices of art were well chosen. i like art, i like looking at every piece of art. yours were good and attractive. I quite like Picasso's work too but i like someone else more. For example i like Chuck Close's photorealism work, as i'm one of those who's trying to draw in a realistic way. I love his work as they came out so good and looks so real and alive. I can't deny looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I like this painting of Picasso. I like the way that he can make picture of simple things, which are jug, candle and pan in this artwork, become interesting. I think the composition of this painting is perfect that make it fantastic like colors, shapes, lines and shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I have not any talent for art and I’m not into it a little, I do think it’s well-chosen. This Picasso’s piece of art look easily understandable like what Ant said above. Plus, his other pieces of work in your blog post seem a bit more interesting than such a painting. The ones regard woman were drawn and painted in geometric style creatively and vividly. And the last one with the similar style is depicted differently with mystique.

    You may consider them as new cover images in the following and other terms.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.