Wednesday 25 May 2016

Are you afraid of getting cancer?

Source background

According to Robin Andrews (2016) writing in " These four things could cut U.S. cancer deaths in half," a new publishes study by the researchers at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston states that a risk of getting several types of cancer could be reduced by just small changes of lifestyle. In their stud, they considered carcinomas type of cancers which includes all cancers except skin, brain, lymphatic, hematologic and nonfatal prostate variants and they made a study about lifestyle of American people, especially health-based lifestyle. It turned out that the number of people getting cancer will be reduced by 40 to 70 percent, if every American adult doing just 4 things which are quitting smoking, reducing their alcohol intake, maintaining a healthy weight and doing a little exercise each week.

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Are you afraid of getting cancer?

My answer is:
Yes, I do afraid of it.

Nowadays there are many people suffering from getting cancer and many people died from it. I think cancer is like a mysterious disease that in some type of cancer, doctors or researchers cannot know and find why it can happen in human's body. Fortunately, some people can recover and completely cure from this disease. But unfortunately the majority of people with cancer died from it.

Four years ago, my aunt was diagnosed getting breast cancer. Everyone in my family was very confused because she is a very healthy person. She did exercised everyday and she liked to eat healthy food. She got chemotherapy and she got better for like several months. But she got worse in one year later and unfortunately she passed away. This makes me scare of this disease and I think I have to concern about it more.

I think the way people live nowadays and innovative technology have led to higher chance of getting cancer such as the way people eat. An easy example is when we go to 7-11 shop, there are many frozen food or ready-to-eat stuffs such as rice meals, sandwiches or even pilled fruits. These food is very easy and convenient for consumers. You just go to the shop, buy it, put in microwave and then it is ready to eat! so easy right? So many people tend to buy these stuffs and the sales volume of these stuffs tend to be higher and higher because the function of them meet needs of new generation people, as they love everything that convenient to their life. However, they don't realize that there are a lot of chemicals containing in these food because the chemicals make them last longer and more importantly, these chemicals are harmful to our health and it may cause some type of cancer. I also heard that processed products such as sausage, ham and bacon are contained some chemicals that can caused cancer too.
__________
Reference
Andrews, R. (2016, May 24). These four things could cut U.S. cancer deaths in half. IFLScience. Retrieve from http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/these-four-things-could-reduce-your-risk-getting-cancer-70-percent 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, getting cancer is the worst nightmare ever. Cancer is dangerously and mostly incurable. I have known that cancer has 4 steps and usually when you get the first or second steps you wouldn't notice that you have cancer already. But it will be shown up when you reach third or fourth step, and you will actually get worse and worse which is most likely incurable. So for me, as i have experienced by losing one person by having cancer, so i think getting cancer is the worst nightmare ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is the worst nightmare.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I do because many people in my family have cancer, so I think I have a risk in my gene. However, I try to exercise more but I'm too lazy and always give up after a week of trying. In addition, I try to eat healthy food: whole grain bread, brown rice, more vegetable, and less fat but it is very difficult to do since unhealthy food is more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father had skin cancer a few times, so I've always avoided the sun because my skin is probably much like his.
    I'm sure that lifestyle factors are important, but I wonder if the genes we got from our parents are not more important. I remember reading about Angelina Jolie who had both breasts removed because the genes her parents gave her made breast cancer very likely - and it didn't matter what her lifestyle was. I think I have genetic tendency to get skin cancer, so I should avoid the sun, but I'm not sure that this is true for everyone.

    It is certainly an awful disease, and sometimes the treatment makes the disease worse. I remember when one of my aunts, who was always healthy, got pancreatic cancer when she was only 55. She really wanted to die quickly, but the doctors forced her to keep being treated so that her death was long, painful and awful. I think that for diseases like this that cannot be cured and can only bring pain and misery, patients should be able to tell doctors to kill them painlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. many people told me that abnormal cells that cause cancers generate quickly. Besides, in the beginning of people who get these diseases, most of them don't know that they get cancers because these severe cells are asymptomatic--showing no symptoms. Unfortunately, people will know that they are infected cancers when the cancers grow up to the third stage of the final stage, so that it's very difficult to treat patients.

    This blog post allows me to think about microwaves. I wonder if microwave rays cause cancers. Therefore, according to the radiologist working at Siriraj Hospital, microwave rays don't cause cancers as these don't gather in food you put in microwaves. Furthermore, materials used to create microwaves can prevent these rays go out. So, you can use microwaves happily in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely, I am scared of it as well. I tend to be exposed to the health news about cancer in both positive and negative ways. The cancer patients sometimes can recover themselves not because of medical treatment, but also because of strong mind and positive attitude. To listen to and see such news frequently does not mean it makes me feel worse and more hopeless; rather, I realized more that I should be care my health more.

    I believe in the statement that “Prevent is better than cure.”

    I thus care about what I eat, particularly for too burnt food. And Peter’s comment is really helpful for me because that reminds me of other kinds and causes of cancer.

    No one wants to be suffered from cancer. Yet, worrying about it too much would be useless too.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.