Wednesday 4 March 2009

A Bit about Peter

My academic background isn't actually in teaching, or even English. My main area of interest is philosophy, which is what I majored in, but I also studied mathematics, physics and a couple of dead languages at university. These days, I'm still interested in all of those areas. I still read a lot of philosophy, and I also like to keep up with what's happening in the sciences, so I subscribe to a couple of science magazines, as you can see from the "Daily Updates" links on the right, which you might like to have a look at if you have a free minute: they make good reading practice, and you might even find something interesting there. 
Although I've never formally studied them, except as parts of other courses, I'm also interested in history and social sciences, mainly because they are often relevant to the questions that philosophy looks at, such as the morality of eating meat. Within philosophy, my main areas of interest were ethics and logic, which goes well with mathematics, although I've forgotten most of my mathematics. 

Hopefully, there will be a variety of academic backgrounds and interests in the class to provide different perspectives and approaches to the questions that will come up. 

1 comment:

  1. In this morning, I have discussed an interesting word namely "chain" with my classmates in AEP rw6. This word seems to be appeared quite often in news and articles, however, when we discussed it I realized that I could not literally define its exact meaning until my teacher gave examples and concluded its definition.
    This blog "a Bit about Peter" also gave me an another idea of the word "chain". The knowledge of what Peter has acquired from his passionate in reading various sciences has not only increased my existing academic knowledge but also inspired me to be specialized in something in order to dedicate to others in some ways.
    I suppose I am a part of his "chain" of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.