Tuesday 17 March 2009

Music lessons provide a workout for the brain: from New Scientist

Gottfried Schlaug of Harvard Medical School says in “Music lessons provide a workout for the brain” about his research that is, “Showing differential brain development in children who learned and played a musical instrument versus those that did not”(2009, ¶3). His team did an experiment on six-year-olds from the Boston. Then they found out that, “the musicians also outperformed the others at specific tasks related to manual dexterity and discrimination of sounds”(2009, ¶5).

What do you think about Music? Is it works for adult or only children? In my opinion, musical training is useful for both adult and children. It will help you to improve your ability to concentrate your work or study. Moreover, it can help you to have more imagination. From this article, the music affects your brain to develop by practice. What do you think if we play difference instrument, our brain will develop in difference part or not. In addition, the difference kind of music which has a difference rhythm will affect the difference part of brain or not.
__________
References
Coghlan, A. (2009, March 13). Music lessons provide a workout for the brain . New Scientist. Retrieved March 16, 2009 from http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16767-music-lessons-provide-a-workout-for-the-brain.html

4 comments:

  1. It seems a pretty clear answer to one, perhaps small, part of the controversy over whether skills are inherited or learned. I thought it also brought out the importance of being clear about what a link between two things might, or might not, be evidence for. Here, the larger size of some parts of adult brains in musicians is linked to their ability, but the results show that it is not the case that that different brain formation was the cause of the ability.

    As I read Pond's summary and comments, and then Coghlan's original article in New Scientist, I was wondering if the same is true of academic writing: does practice enlarge and strengthen the related parts of the brain? Unfortunately, AUA doesn't have an MRI scanner handy to test students's brains before and after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to listen to the music. I wish I can play classical music instruments. However, I don't have opportunity to study, so I tried to self-study the instrument. I have found out that it is extremely difficult for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to listen the music befor i go to bad,It help me sleep well.I heard Mozas music can develop children brain and help them have a good remember.Listen the music ia a good relaxation











    I have to listen the music befor i go to







    it make me sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some korean mothers believe that music lesson can help the development of brian, because kids have to move thier body while they are playing music. I agree with that in some part, if the kids like it. Anyway, in my case, listening music is helpful to refresh feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.