Monday 2 August 2010

Peter's Current Academic Interests

Although I've never taken classes in it, except in school, where it was very boring, history interests me a lot these days, especially the history of the classical West, of ancient Greece and Rome. Actually, I did study their history at university when I took Latin, but the main focus was on the language and literature; I'm definitely not at university these days, but still find Greek and Roman history a fascinating subject, especially as it unfolds to lead to the world today, which I think is largely Western and becoming more so.
I mentioned in class this morning that my final major at university was philosophy, and that also goes well with the history of the peoples who created the ideas; you can't really understand Plato unless you know what was going on in Greece in the 4th and 5th centuries before the Christians began to make such an awful mess of everything. However, philosophy is the one think that has kept my interest ever since I was in high school, even when I was studying mathematics and physics, I was also reading philosophy, and I continue to read it today, and now it is science and technology that are consistent minor interests - I like learning about advances in different fields, especially areas that might have some bearing on teh philosophical questions that interest me today.
And, perhaps surprisingly, modern economists are doing a lot of work that seems to me to tell us important things about human beings, so economics is another field that I'm interested in these days, but I don't read very widely in economics: I often search for supporting statistics from economists, and I enjoy reading work by behavioural economists, such as Dan Ariely.

And how about you? What academic areas interest you at the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.