Monday 9 August 2010

Tongue piercing's risks

There are various adornments to put on our body such as tattoo, earrings, body's piercing, extreme piercing, etc. I'm going to focus on tongue piercing. Although it's extensively accepted in these day fashion, but it could caused bad consequences.

The university of Buffalo team said that the stud can caused damages to the upper front teeth. They will look like a little hole on the front teeth when they are smiling. Also The tongue piercing could caused infections, gum's problem, and it could be serious to be brain abscesses.

We know that hygiene of oral cavity is very important. And when we take the risk to have a tongue piercing, we may pay more attention to it. Not just about the hygiene or infections, a simple physical damage like chipped teeth could occur. And the dental treatment costs a lot which this means it wastes our money and our time. Then somebody might say "I shouldn't have done this". I would say "when you decide to have it, remind yourself to take your own risk".

10 years ago I thought I could have a tongue piercing too just like my friends. But I didn't. I think I was lucky that my parents didn't give me money to spend on that. I always hate to go to see the dentist. I cried a lot. I hate everything in the clinic, the smell, oral cavity posters, especially the saliva sucker's sound. EEW! I don't think about having a pierce anymore.
_________
References 
Tongue piecings 'can cause damage to teeth'. (2010,August,6). BBC News. Retrieved 10:00, August 9, 2010, from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10892773

6 comments:

  1. Kame
    I agree with you that it is too risky to get a tongue piercing because we consume food everyday and who's know one day your tongue piercing hole might get infected. This may cause loads of health problem in a long term.

    I thought the same as you when i was a high school's student. I wish i could have more body piercing not only getting more ear piercing or expanding the piercing hole but also having a jewellery on my tongue too. I've changed my mind since i saw one of my friends did this by himself, i mean it[by himself]. He broke his roller pen, brought the filler out, cut it to a spear shape, pull his tongue out and then the process began.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like some piercings, but every time I see someone with a tongue piercing I can't help thinking "How do they eat? Doesn't the food, such as noodles or spaghetti, get caught up around the piercing?"
    Lip piercing's don't appeal to me either. I might be completely wrong, but they seem very inconvenient to me. Has anyone tried them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But to be honest, the health issues don't worry me that much. I am sure there are risks, but probably not that big. There are also risks in walking on the footpath or driving on the roads of Bangkok, but those risks don't stop us doing those things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter,
    I think walking and driving are sometime unavoidable but piercing your tongue...It is avoidable, yes?

    Why I have to get more attracting by making myself hurt?
    There are tons of the way to be attractive without hurt.
    But...it OK. if they are happy to piercing, drilling, or ripping themselves, that are their rights, and if it comes out good, I'd love to looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's one of my friends had a tongue pierce when she was in school. One day she swallowed the stud while she was sleeping. In the next day, she got another one and swallowed it again in that night. She found that her hole is bigger. I thought she would stop wearing it. But what she did is to have a new bigger stud. I really have nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think walking on the footpath or driving on the roads of Bangkok is challenging and can improve my skill but I will not dare to do a Tongue piercing. >_<" I concern my teeth rather than doing a fashion with my Tongue.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.