Sunday 8 August 2010

To say Apologize

I’m sorry that I did not search in facts enough. I read a lot of research which some says, “Gay is a mental illness” but some don’t. These data did confuse me. It caused me a misconception.

Today, I found this information, which support my point. They said

Is Homosexuality A Mental Disorder?
No. All major professional mental health organizations have gone on record to affirm that homosexuality is not a mental disorder. In 1973 the American Psychiatric Association’s Board of Trustees removed homosexuality from its official diagnostic manual, The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Second Edition (DSM II). The action was taken following a review of the scientific literature and consultation with experts in the field. The experts found that homosexuality does not meet the criteria to be considered a mental illness”

However, being gay may cause mental disorder such as Drug and alcohol use, Psychiatric disorders, Physical appearance and eating disorders, Gender atypical behavior, Minority Stress, Ego-dystonic sexual orientation, Sexual relationship disorder, and Suicide

One study found that nearly half of its sample had been the victim of verbal or physical violence because of their sexual orientation, usually committed by men. Such victimization is related to higher levels of depression, anxiety, anger, and symptoms of post-traumatic stress.

This can be said “ being gay is not mental illness but may cause mental disorder”

__________
References

Homosexuality and psychology. (2010, August 1). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 02:02, August 8, 2010, fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Homosexuality_and_psychology&oldid=376644731

Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Issues (2000, May). In Association of Gay and Lesbian Psychiatrists (AGLP). Retrieved 9:10, August 8 2010, from http://www.aglp.org/pages/cfactsheets.html

2 comments:

  1. Aim,
    I think you could have made this a comment on the previous post on this topic. Then, the discussion would all have been in one place. It's OK if a comment is a bit long. You can also add italics and links in comments - I did in my previous comment, and I've added some notes on how to do that to my post "Responding to Posts and Comments: because your ideas matter" (last section).

    I don't think any apology is necessary, what you have done is find more information that is relevant to the discussion, which is why I think it should be comment on that discussion.

    Although in one of my own comments I suggested checking the DSM versions' treatment of homosexuality because I thought you might find it useful, I don't actually think it settles the question: Math might argue that the American Psychiatric Association (APA) is wrong, as very many people do: there is no shortage of people in the world who still believe that homosexuality is either an illness, immoral or both. The APA thinks it was itself wrong before; maybe it's wrong this time.

    I also said in a previous comment that this topic and the discussion had suggested an essay question to me. Why might that be? I mean, why might an essay be necessary? (You might like to bear this in mind when I send the final drafts of everyone's paragraph about the painting on p.165 of Quest this evening.)

    I like your discussion, especially the solid support you are researching and presenting to support your stand on the issue. It is exactly what we want to do here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when I was responding to Math's disagreement with me just now at "new safety way to sell alcohol in pubic" I realized that there is probably an important similarity between the two discussions that is worth thinking about.
    So, what do you think?
    Is there an important similarity?
    What is it?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.