Tuesday 12 May 2015

Are ants just annoying insect?


Have you ever thought that looking at ants’ life can teach us many things? Or they are just annoying insect.

According to “Invasive ants are extreme excavators” (2015), researchers from US have designed experiment to study “the ants’ excavation ability” and they found that ants can build their complex colony regardless of size of soil grain, by using different method depend on the size of soil grain. This inspired them to create rescue robot “that are programmed to work an ant-like principle” to use in “unstable condition such as collapsed building.”

The first thought come to my mind when I think of ant is unity symbol (with the exception of annoying) because when I studied in the primary school, my teacher told me that. And I agree with that because I often saw many ants tried to carry my candy to their colony. If you leave your food or candy on the table, first time you may see one or few of them, after that there are a lot of ants are stealing those food. I think they call their friend in some way to eat it together. In that time, I just knew that ant is an insect which is unselfish but after I read some article about ant, I have noticed that ant is very fascinating animal than I thought.

I am interested in amazing of ant since I read the article about ant in my exam once. I remember that some species of ants can cultivate their own food before human know agriculture. Moreover, ants’ agriculture does not destroy environment. Some kind of ants are not only cultivate their own food, but they also can build very huge and complex colony; for example, “they have dug nests from Georgia to LA.”

With the regard of robot, I don’t have knowledge about it much. However, I like to watch robot competition from TV program sometime. In my opinion, if we have a group of robot which work like ant to rescue people from collapsed building and disaster such as earthquake, it would be great. The reason is that many tiny robots work as a team and may work faster than a big one.

I just wonder if people in our country can work as a team like ants, our country would be more livable?


__________


Reference

Gill, V. (2015, May 7). Invasive ants are extreme excavators. BBC News Science and Environment. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32609797

12 comments:

  1. Sounds interest! When I read your blog post, something pops up in my mind. I doubted why an ant follows another ant orderly and then I observed them deliberately. Finally, I found out that it may be related to their pheromone because some ants release unwanted smell when they will be killed. In addition, my teacher taught me that a human should be a good behavior like ants. I agree with that because ants are an animal that show us order, intelligence, cooperation, and so on. Consequently, I think it's a good idea if ant-principle will be apply for designing the robot. Collapsed building like Nepal now is difficult for staffs to help people who get stuck in the building; however, the robot will solve this problem because the robot is small and work cooperatively like the ants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was very young, I also used to be fascinated by the way ants ran in trails. I would play around putting obstacles in their path to see what happened. Their mindless individuals seemed to work as a group with impressive intelligence and organization.

      Which reminds of one of my favourite academics, the Harvard biologist E. O. Wilson, who book Sociobiology: The New Synthesis upset a lot of people when I was an undergraduate some decades ago. Although I could understand why some people disliked it, I thought it was brilliant. And right. Everyone who disagreed with Wilson about the mindless evolution of social behaviour was, and is, wrong. And lest there be any confusion, Wilson published another work a few years later which specifically discussed human behaviour.

      I'm sure that Wilson is right: the evidence shows that our parents genes (what they are) are more important than such things as whether our parents love us or not (what they do).

      Delete
  2. Nice use use of "quotation" mixed in with the paraphrased summary.

    The ant story was also fascinating, so much so that I was motivated to go to and read Beam's source, which I had not noticed before when browsing the BBC News.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog post. It is quite interesting topic.
    Frankly speak, I hate ants and when I see ants in my home, I love killing them or find the way to tease them. Because I don't like when they try to eat my dessert on the table.

    After I read whole story, It makes me change my mind and it also makes me think about it again.

    I think ants are such a wonderful animals and they also are quite a team work to build their homes, steal our food, and can cultivate their own food. They can work together without fighting, and they also work so hard to make a big thing. I really appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, to be honest, i dont think that insects are annoying(when i'm in a good mood) but i think they are pity to be born in that very small size i assume that it might be hard for ants to live in this very huge planet lol. so when i slapped or killed it i regret that later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting article , it remind me when I was a child, I can see many ants. I can see them at the food which was dropped on the floor. However, I can't see it now and I think the reason why it isn't appear because the ant always stay under the soil or grasses. I'm not sure and what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I am surprised about the ants in many reason. For example, ants are small insect which maximum length is less than 1 cm but they can carry some heavy thing that weigh more than their weight 50 times. Moreover, if you've ever seen their home which is very complicated like a labyrinth, you will feel like me because they can remember all paths. I think ants are amazing insect that can do many interesting things. However, I can't deny that ants are very annoying insect and I used to kill them many times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds very interesting. I would like to see their farms someday if possible.

    By the way, I sometime see an ant or two wandering on my computer desk at home. That's make me wonder why they are up here on the 2nd floor of my house and even on my desk where there are only electronic devices, books and papers. My best guess is that they are looking for food. Anyway, when they crawl up my hands, I always blow them away. I hope they safely land somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I knew why those ants are on your desk. I saw that you like to bring a big plastic cup with fruit juice or green tea or may be ice coffee up on your desk. May be ants can smell some sweet, so they send few of them to find it. (I just imagine that)

      Delete
    2. I think I knew why those ants are on your desk. I saw that you like to bring a big plastic cup with fruit juice or green tea or may be ice coffee up on your desk. May be ants can smell some sweet, so they send few of them to find it. (I just imagine that)

      Delete
    3. And I also remember that not too long ago you forgot to take your glass of juice back to your room and left it on my desk for those ants to come drink it.

      Delete
  8. Honestly, I quite see that ants are annoying insect because I have had bad experiences with them such as an ant walked into my ear at nignt that made me cry. However, I am one who are wonder when see ants try to move their big food. Once I saw ants tried to move a dead lizard which was very bigger than an ant .
    By the way, I always see people in Thailand work as team like ants when they voluntary to help paging food and important stuff for sufferer. It is really good.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.