Friday 22 May 2015

Reading Of Mice and Men - exposing the characters

As I've already mentioned, I've previously written essays on the topics of Slim, Crooks, Carlson and Candy's dog, all of whom Steinbeck (2015) introduces in the second chapter of Of Mice and Men. This term, I thought it was time to write on the boss, so after my morning coffee, a bit late today, I read chapters 1 to 4 again to refresh my memory. I'll read the last two chapters again this afternoon.

Since the only research this essay requires, and the only research that you can cite to support your thesis about your chosen character, is what's in chapters 1 to 3 of the novel, I also wanted to check that people writing on Crooks, in whose room all of chapter 4 is set, could support an interesting thesis from what is in chapters 1 to 3, really, what is in chapters 2 and 3. I think it's obvious that reading chapter 4 not only tells us a lot about Crooks, but also about Candy and Curley's wife, who are the co-stars in this chapter, and perhaps less directly we learn more about Curley, the boss, and Slim; in fact, I think we can also get some ideas about Candy's dog and Carlson from chapter 4. So, it's clearly a very good idea to read chapter 4 if you're looking for ideas about any of the characters that Steinbeck introduces in chapter 2.

When I wrote my essay on Crooks, chapter 4 was very useful in suggesting main ideas to support. And if you have time today and tomorrow, you might like to read the rest of the novel, looking out for clues about your chosen topic. How consistently does Steinbeck present his characters? Do they do the sorts of things that we expect? How much clearer do our initial impressions of their characters become?

But it's those initial impressions in chapters 2 and 3, developed by reading later chapters, that are based on evidence you can cite to support your two or three main ideas about the character that combine to make your complex thesis that needs support. I also assume, although it's unnecessary, that you might get ideas from the many online commentaries on this famous story. That's fine: if you find an idea or two that you agree with, that seems right to you, it can be used in your thesis statement, but all of the support has to be what Steinbeck tells us in chapters 1 to 3. Although I don't agree with them all that they say, most of the online commentaries, such as SparkNotes, are fairly competent, if basic.

However, reading the source, Steinbeck's novel, especially the crucial chapters 2 and 3 is the best research, and the only research that we expect to be cited in the body of this essay: on what page and line did you find that useful quotation? On what page is that paraphrase found? When I wrote my essays, especially the one on Crooks, I read them carefully, noting every time Crooks was mentioned by anyone, since much of the evidence about him is not what he says or does, but what the other characters tell us about him.

And now that I'm starting to get some ideas about the boss, it's even clearer that the support isn't going to be directly what he says or is seen doing in the novel. Maybe after I read chapters 5 and 6, which I hope will clarify my ideas about the boss, I should sit down with my pink pen and read chapters 2 and 3 again.

Perhaps I'll write a provisional thesis statement first - I think I've done steps 1, 2, and 3 of the writing process enough to move on to step 4 and write that one, all important sentence, at least provisionally.

__________
Reference
Steinbeck, J. (2015). Of Mice and Men. Bangkok: AUA for AEP. (Originally published 1937).

3 comments:


  1. Peter F. AUA Chamchuri22 May 2015 at 11:57
    Ideas for a thesis about the boss are getting firmer. Now I need to go through chapters 2 and 3 again looking for every bit of support. Can I get enough to expose(v) his true character to readers in my planned expository(adj) essay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was attentively reading chapter 4 again for details on Crooks, I was also struck by how the mood changes between chapters 3 and 4.
    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The time scale are also interesting. Chapter 1 might start in very relaxed way, with bunnies and gentle breezes, but in the following 24 hours, over the Friday on which George and Lennie arrive at the bunkhouse (p. 29, 19), and in which chapters 2 and 3 are set, a lot happens.

    Chapter 4 is a bit slower again, and appears to take place ... when? Over what period?

    And then there is chapter 5, where the action is again in a very short period, set against the routines of Sunday afternoon (p. 49, 7), relaxed and peaceful until Candy makes his awful discovery in the barn.

    Then on to the return of chiding Aunt Clara among the peace of the river bank where we had joined the story of George and Lennie just three days ago.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.