Friday 1 May 2015

The Competition of OS

Nowadays, there are two huge companies, Apple and Google, which can control 90 percents of worldwide information technology about mobile device; moreover, both Apple and Google create and develop their own effective operation systems (OS) called iOS and Andriod respectively. Nonetheless, in a few months ago, there is a company that has grown up in this branch rapidly, Microsoft.

Andriod vs. iOS vs. Windows
In “Windows 'open' for Apple and Android” (2015), BBC News reported that Microsoft has two projects called “Islandwood” and “Astoria”. These projects are about developing Microsoft operation system, Windows, which you can find in most of computers and some smart phones, and most of people use in their daily life, that makes user can run Android and Apple apps on Windows mobile device easier.

When I hear about Microsoft and Windows, I pretty sure that it is very intelligent and effective operation system in computer, but not in mobile device. Some of my friends use Nokia mobile phone and when I borrowed them for calling to my parent or playing game in free time, I found that Windows OS in mobile device is much worse than iOS and Android. Windows mobile OS is so slow that I can’t stand putting it down and borrowing other friend mobile phone. Moreover, it graphic is not as beautiful and modern as iOS and Andriod. iOS and Andriod can use every apps and functions that Windows (in mobile device) can use, but Windows can’t use some iOS and Andriod apps. I think that iOS and Andriod are the most effective and useful operation system.

In a few months ago, I heard that Microsoft Corporation took over Nokia Corporation, which is one of the most famous companies about mobile device, and they develop device to use Windows instead of Symbian, old operation system of Nokia that is out-of-date now. Moreover, When I read about Windows 10 that Microsoft are developing and going to release it in this year, or maybe next year, I feel that Microsoft decides to develop their innovation and have power to fight with Apple and Google. However, when I think deliberately, I know that Microsoft just develop Windows to use iOS and Andriod apps but they don’t develop their own apps for Windows that iOS and Andriod don’t have. Apple and Google are in the role of the inventors, but Microsoft is the Imitator.

Is it a right way to become a one of the most powerful IT companies of the world? I think Microsoft can’t beat Apple and Google unless they show to the worldwide that I am wrong.

__________
Reference
Windows 'open' for Apple and Android. (2015, April 30). BBC News Technology. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32531268

15 comments:

  1. i agree that windows is successful with computers but not smart phone. the operation system of microsoft gave me a different feeling from ios but i cant tell the difference, i just feel not familiar to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microsoft beats Apple in computer OS, but Apple overcomes Microsoft in mobile device as well. It is a competition between two big companies that are growing day by day, month by month, year by year. Maybe in the future, One company may takeover another company.

      Delete
  2. I have some doubts about Microsoft. It has many effective and intelligent people in company. It has much bud It also succeed in computer's software but why they can't make something awesome in smartphone that I think it isn't much different from computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Microsoft are in growing period about mobile device. Maybe they are developing something that we don't. No one knows.

      Delete
  3. I have some doubts about Microsoft. It has many effective and intelligent people in company. It has much bud It also succeed in computer's software but why they can't make something awesome in smartphone that I think it isn't much different from computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, just because a baker can bake a good cake doesn't mean they'll always bake a good cookie.

      Delete
    2. May be as you said.

      Delete
  4. I have a friend who use Microsoft smartphone, and he always brags about it every time we see each other, it was very hard for me to tell him how MS smartphone is suck so bad. I'm so glad that i have someone who would agree with me about this

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on your side Pond. The chance for Microsoft is very low to be successful in this business. As you said, most people are using iOS and Android, and it's not easy to persuade them to change from these two systems, which are very useful right now, to Windows. Changing OS means that you have to learn how to it from zero, and it may take some time. So, who wants to waste time learning new OS which is still unreliable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not have bought a phone with MS Windows, but I am looking forward to Windows 10, when it will be about time I upgraded by desktop. I might even get an MS Surface Pro to carry around - if they bring out version 4 to go with Windows 10.

    But I think I'll stick with Android for my phones and tablets.

    I thought that with the latest version of Office that MS has made some progress, forced on it to keep up with the free Cloud offerings from Google and others, but being forced to change or die by competition is good for progress, which is one reason free market economies with less government interference tend to do better than controlled, communist type systems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you that Ms can't do better than Google and Apple but another thing I think that in the future, Google can play a big role in IT business more than any companies because their system can support various devices in technological field.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For my second blog post, I almost chose the same article as you but I was lazy to do it until I found your blog post. I think that the project is a great idea; however, it's uncomfortable compared to using microsoft on the computer. At the first time, for example, MS word app has appeared on my iPhone and then I downloaded it but I found out that it's slow, not fully function, and leads to problems when I change it from iPhone to computer. However, I believe that at the end MS and OS can apply with each other because now we can upload MS into macbook.

    In addition, I think that it quite challenges for MS to compete with Google and Apple because the two last companies are quite a big company and affect technologies all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right that Microsoft Windows suits for using in computers and it does not suit for cellphones.

    From my pount of view, I think Nokia Lumia is quite a good cellphone. I like their design and also their camara feature. Unfortunately, they did not use Android operating system. If they used Android operating system, it would be awesome. Everybody knows that Nokia is quite strong , stable and also low costs. If they produced mass products like Sumsung. Nokia Lumia would be a greatly competitor to snatch a market share from iPhone or Sumsung. Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly agree with you. I used to use Nokia cellphone before, but it is not Nokia Lumia. Nokia has strong body and very awesome accessories. Moreover, Nokia is the best in durability. I used to drop my Nokia from high place, fortunately, It's not broken.

      Delete
  10. I want to upgrade my desktop, so I'm looking forward to the release of Windows 10.
    It probably won't persuade me to switch from Android on my smartphone, and probably not for my tablet. But,if MS releases v4, I might get a Surface Pro in addition, which I would often carry around instead of a tablet. At the moment, I usually carry a tablet around, but sometimes I need an actual computer, and it annoys me that my very good Yoga Pro2 is so much heavier than the Samsung tablet.

    I almost bought a Surface Pro3, but Microsoft didn't have them in stock in Thailand when I went shopping last year, so Lenovo got my money.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.