Sunday 3 May 2015

How to get more donations online

Have you ever wish you could do something for those who have less opportunities than you? I have, and all I can do is giving donations both money and stuffs, not only for Thai organization but also online fundraising websites.

By reading the article "Why good-looking runners attract more donations" (2015) from BBC News, I get to know that what interest the donors is not the purpose of the charity itself but involve with attractive opposite-gender fundraisers' pictures on websites especially for men. The research reported that men are naturally "programmed to improve their success with females compared to other males."

That surprises me a lot because whenever I did online donations I didn't care about the look of each websites fundraisers, actually I didn't even know where in the website show their pictures. I only look for the destination that my cooperation will go to like the orphans, the harmed animals, the cancer patients and so on.

Most of the websites I went through have the same principle that they receive money from the sponsors advertised in their websites, and the money is counted by online donors' click which is called 'Click to give' principle. If you search on Google or any other search engine you will find many websites such as clicktogive.com, care2.com and thenonprofits.com which provide you many kind of donations like Feed the poor, Support education, Animal health care, Autism children support, whatever we can consider as a problems.

I started to donate online 3 years ago in the website freerice.com which run by The United Nation World Food Programme. The only thing you have to do is playing synonym game, just match the given word with the correct answer out of 4 choices, and each correct one will be recorded as 10 grains of rice to be donated to African hungers.

I just started collecting used stamps from overseas, and while I was searching for further information I found another type of donation, maybe you can guess, it receive used stamps for donation. I'm not clear about how they transfer used stamps into money but I'm considering give some of mine to help them.

Sincerely, I don't know if I can trust the online donation at all but I decide to help anyway cause I've got nothing to lose (though it's a little waste of time) but what if it is literally helpful, that means I make this world become a little better place to stay.
__________
Reference
Roxby, P. (2015, April 26). Why good-looking runners attract more donations. BBC News Health. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32427178

15 comments:

  1. I have never donated through any website before because I have seen a talk-show which interview two Thai models who are fight about ban on eating meal of dogs. They said that there was a famous internal organization which was fighting about the ban in South Korea. The models wanted to follow the results of this organization, so they went to South Korea and found that the organization deceived people around the world by manipulating all photographs and result which showed its projects. After I saw it, I think that donation in a hospital is the best way to do. Moreover, I cannot find out which website can be trusted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit off topic, at least off Kwan's topic, but why would eating dog meat be any worse, or any better, than eating pig meat or cow meat?

      Delete
    2. Like i said in last paragraph that i'm not that sure about online donation but if it's really work. It must be great to help others.

      Delete
  2. More on topic than my reply to Pui, I'm glad Kwan chose this article to blog. I saw the headline, which looked interesting, but with limited time, I didn't open and read it. Now I don't need to.

    The results Kwan reports don't surprise me that much. One of the cool things about psychology, and behavioural economics, is that they can tell us truths about ourselves that we might never have suspected otherwise, such as our tendency to donate according to the attractiveness, which I suspect means "sexiness," of a presenter. It is, as Kwan says in the quotation in her summary paragraph, that men are naturally programmed this way, thinking themselves different does not make them different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But i feel surprised cause i think people give in order to help not for any other reason. i may not understand men's nature at all.

      Delete
  3. I like the donation methods you mentioned in paragraph 5. Winning the game and they will give rice to African hungers. If the game is interesting enough, I may spend a whole day donating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you. If this blog has "like" button same as facebook, I will press it for your comment.^^

      Delete
    2. there's no end, i guess. it will automatically give you a harder word if you get many correct one, and when u choose the wrong one it will decrease the level of word into an easier one. And you can play even though u r not sign in.

      Delete
    3. Actually, there is a group of six buttons at the bottom of every blog post that allow you to share and like on various social media.
      Try them out.

      Delete
  4. I am another one that never donate through the website before because my family was deceived once. It was not donation through the website, but we did not see the charity, just donate through middleman. After that, we realize we need to donate directly to charity.

    Anyway, I have just known that there is donation through the website by playing game. As you said, we have no thing to lose. I think I have to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets try if u have time!

      Delete
  5. That sounds interesting because I've never know something like donation from the website as you say. I usually donate my money at the box, locating in many restaurants, banks, offices. Sometimes, I transfer my money to specific bank account for donation like "pray for Nepal". There are many comfortable ways for us to donate that could make more people interest in donation. that's a good idea. By the way, For me that be men, I pay attention to the objective of the funds more than appearance of the fundraiser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. i usually put some coins in the donation box anywhere i feel like

      Delete
  6. I have heard about donations on the websites like Unicef; however, I never heard about the factor of donation; this article says about sexiness that makes me surprise because I think that most people give money or other things due to wish to give, not the appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, even now i still want to believe that people give in order to help regardless of the fundraiser's appearance.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.