Saturday 23 May 2015

The Complexity of The Brain

Human is the best creature in controlling brain function; however, it's just 10 percent of brain capability. Have you ever suspected about 90 percent left?


According to "Brain-reading implant controls arm" (2015), BBC News reported that when "two tiny sensors were implanted into his brain", Erik Sorto can "sip a drink unaided for the first time in 10 years" because of brain-controlled robotic arm. Nowadays, scientists discover more knowledge about our brain and nervous system and make innovation about brain-controlled robotics closer to reality.

Have you ever seen "Lucy", the film about what happen if human can use 100 percent of brain capability? Although it's sound weird when she step up to higher level, This film make me surprised about what our brain can do. Although it's just 10 percent, we can control almost body freely. We can express our mood through our face while most of other creature can't. Comparing to other creature, human thought is more complicated and more logical. It is an amazing phenomenon, if we can control our brain perfectly.

Scientist's research can help many people who suffer from damaged brain and paralyzed. Many people feel hopeless when they get an accident and it cause them to paralyze. They can't do anything without the others help. This innovation, a robotic arm controlled by our brain, is the light for them. However, it can't use in public because of its side effect. During the process, sensors must be implant to the brain and it can cause infection. Scientist allow this project in the laboratory only. I think they should study more about our brain system and decrease the risk of danger.

Is it all right when we can control 100 percent of our brain? I think our world is so chaotic although it's just 10 percent. 10 percent of brain function is enough to survive. If we can use 100 percent of brain system, I can't imagine what happen to our world.
__________
Reference
Gallagher, J. (2015, May 22). Brain-reading implant controls arm. BBC News Health. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32784534

11 comments:

  1. After I read your lead in part, I also immidiately think about "Lucy". I am also surprised and interested in capability of brain. How do we know the percentage of our brain capability? Before I watch this movie, I read an article about capability of brain too. I think this topic may be is popular in theseday.

    Human brain is very complex and amazing at the same time. People have invented and created innovation in every field of knowledge for a long time. I just think that is this just 10% use? Can it be more than this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Lucy. It's just the sort of silliness that I like when I want to relax after some hard work on an essay or reviewing thesis statements.

      I'm a bit skeptical of the idea that we only use 10% of our brains - is that true or just a popular myth that is about as likely as Moses parting the Red Seas (Exodus)?

      Delete
    2. It is interesting point. It has no research which can prove that we use 10 percent exactly. someone said it more than this, while someone said it just 10 percent. it need to be proved.

      Delete
    3. The 10% idea just sounds totally wrong to me. Evolution is not that silly, however perfectly mindless it might be. I would not believe that we only use 10% unless there was very solid evidence supporting that claim.

      It reminds me of people who blindly believe that legalizing drugs will increase drug use, except that the unsupported belief about drug use does at least make some sense.

      Delete
    4. Guys,I only use 5% of my brain just to write this reply. JK

      Delete
  2. Is there anything we need a body for? I mean, that can't done at least as well be a machine replacement?
    Can the brain itself be turned into a silicon other inorganic machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A brain, especially in human brain, consists of millions of nerve cells and forms in complicated structure, so scientist can't imitate it because of less knowledge about it. In the present time, I think we can't build synthetic brain to use instead of authentic brain. However, in the future, it may be true, but I think it should take a hundred or more years.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad Pond chose this article to blog. I'd seen the headline, but with pressing need to review provisional thesis statements, work on my example essay on George and prepare for my Reading and Speaking class, I just didn't want to spend the time reading what sounded fascinating.

    As Pond shows, it is fascinating. So, now I've had to make time anyway, when I really should be going to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New innovation always make amazing stories,if they were still find out new technology. I believe that new innovation will get convenience and help people leave for their suffering of serious wrong problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a beer he's drinking? His first choice was to self-administer a drug of addiction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, Beers are the only thing that he has left in the fridge ,and it's not like he has any other choices.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.