Friday 1 May 2015

Alternative Way in Examinations

Have you ever asked yourself that what the object of the examinations is? It is either finding out our knowledge in our brain or the way we integrate our knowledge.

In “Google 'should beallowed in examinations'” (2015). Students generally use google to answer or do their homework, so the using search engines such as google during examinations should be permitted. However, the allowance has to carefully consider because it will affect the standard of education.


After I read this article, I have two contrary ideas. Firstly, it is really good idea to use any search engines during examinations because I am not able to remember every detail of every subject in each examination. In addition, it is easy to find the information to support an idea when I have a limit time to do examination. On the other hand, I am not sure that the search engines are able to help the students correctly do the test because they will find many sources on result of searching. Although everyone can compare the information with others, everyone still concerns for the reliability of the sources. Moreover, I am afraid that using search engines such as google in examinations will affect the educational standard and some free sources which will change to be commercial.    

"It is more about understanding what results you're seeing rather than keeping all of that knowledge in your head, because that's not how the modern world works." For this sentence, I agreed with a part of it and disagreed with the rest. According to my experience, I could have a paper on which I had wrote a short-note of some subjects into my exam room, I found that it did not help anything because the test wanted to try out how I integrate my knowledge that is same way to use my knowledge in work, not my knowledge in my head.   

The using technologies in every activity tend to be popular because they can provide us to do activities easier and faster. However, we have to spend a lot of money buying or updating devices for internet access.

Do you agree to use device for internet access in examinations?
__________
Reference
Google 'should be allowed in examinations'. (2015, April 30). BBC News Education and Family. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/education-32531820

10 comments:

  1. As a student, I would love to use google in my exam. Of course, it makes my life easier. And I believe many students agree with me.

    However, it would be worse for some subjects if google is allowed in the exam. Language is one of those. Imagine if google is allowed in vocabulary test, I bet that no one will study the words because just searching the words in google during exam can make student get full marks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with your first idea. It not only make our life easier,but it also provide us be confident.
      For language, you remide me to think when I had to remember the words. It was terrible, but it helped me write answer faster dut to every word had already been remembered in my head.

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't a good language test not ask simple vocabulary questions, but require the students to demonstrate understanding and ability to use the language, for example by reading a poem and writing a paragraph on it, or by choosing which of several different possible meanings is the correct one in a given context?

      Education is not the same as just memorizing facts.

      Delete
  2. In our real live, when we work, if we don't know about something we can open the or ask experts for the answer or solution. I think if we allow student to use search engine in examination, it will help student to learn to use the tools that they have when they have a problem. Moreover, I make student to practice about searching and gathering information that is very important when we work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you and Bank. In addition, I think it must be allowed in some subjects or some chapters or may be some questions that have too much exhaustive detail that no need to know.

      Delete
    2. I think it absolutely help students practice using search engines for work. it would be better if teachers gave a correct way to use or refer.

      Delete
  3. At university, most student work is done at home, not in exams, although they are also useful. And the higher you go in education, the less important exams are: no one writes a PhD thesis in an exam!

    When we do exams in AEP, they are always open book - you can refer to Quest, to notes, and you can search online. But none of those online resources are a substitute for being able to do things in English as an academic level.

    Yes, there will probably be an exam or two during the next five weeks. And it will be open book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we am going to have an exam in a next few weeks. your comment make me excited, so I realized that Google will be useful to search the information.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think using search engine is a good idea to find answers in some situation, but not in the examination because the examination measure what you understand when teachers taught us; in addition, the answers of the questions are limited by area of the lesson. For example, one topic may consist of much knowledge if you find out on search engine; however, the question prefer to know what the important points that the teacher or the lesson of the level provides. I agree with A.Peter that the student should be limited sources that find out the answer of the question.

    In addition, we don't know which website is believable and correctly; on the other hand, the book that we learn is more believable and our teacher believe it's correct and suitable to use it.

    For the purpose of the examinations, there are a lot of ideas. Most students would like to get a good grade so they read it to do the exam. However, in the real world good grade may not need, but the employer will evaluate you from your ability or quality of work.

    For me, it is not important whether can do the exam but in fact it's more essential to clearly understand and get the point from the studying and be able to apply it for your work in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.