Wednesday 10 June 2015

NAN: writing a statement of purpose


A statement of purpose is one of the most important elements of a Ph.D application. An applicant have to write a good statement of purpose demonstrating his goal, his achievements, and why a program must choose him among more than thousand applicants. 

After getting a scholarship, I dedicated myself to finish this 1000 words assay for a month using process writing as follows: 

First, I brainstormed what points should be written to express myself effectively. I jotted down as many ideas as I could come up with in a piece of paper.

I then organized my scattered ideas into four main paragraphs, which were an introduction of myself, a reason why I would like pursued my Ph.D in this program, my pass experiences and achievements, and long-term goals after I finished my Ph.D.

To draft an essay, I mostly used a free-writing technique to write each of paragraph follow my outline. 

I reviewed my assay whether I should add more information or delete irrelevant sentences. I also asked my friends to comment and check whether I should change anything.

After that, I revised my assay upon grammatical errors and inappropriate word used. I also changed some major points if necessary. 

Lastly, I published my statement of purpose into an application system, and preyed for the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.