Wednesday 10 June 2015

Painting a picture

First, I brainstorm ideas about what should I put into the picture. I might surf the internet to find information about popular trend of paintings, and the composition of sample paintings. For example, if I would like to paint a still life painting, I will find what objects I should put into my picture. But if I would like to paint a perspective painting, I might find my favorite photos of the scene I want to paint.

Then, I organize my ideas by drawing a sample painting which is much smaller than the real one, in black and white, to analyze the composition of the whole picture. Then prepare tools I need to use to paint, for instance, a set of brushes, a pencil, markers, and painting mask.

To draft my paintings, I use a pencil to sketch on the real canvas, following my sample painting but put more detail into it. After I finish sketching, I start water coloring the picture, from pale colors and darker colors accordingly, for example, I use pale yellow, and sky blue colors first, then follow by ochre yellow and prussian blue after.

Next, I review my picture by looking at it and think how should I put more detail. I might send the picture to ask my friend for more ideas. After I've reviewed it, I revise it by making few changes, for example draw more details, and paint more colors to make the picture looks darker.

Finally, after everything looks fine, I publish my picture on the website, e.g. DevianArt, or my personal blogs.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Mew.
    It's a great example of fitting a creative process into the writing process steps.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.