Tuesday 9 June 2015

Neung's academic interests

I am a law student but I am also quite interested in history and politics, especially in the international context. When I was an undergraduate student I mostly spent my time studying international law, but I soon realized that sometimes legal reasons cannot be separated from historical and political background of the society.

International law is closely related to historical and political study because in the current world order, there is no supreme existence like the government of each country. All sovereign states are equal before the law, and there is no  country in the world that can prosecute or trail another. As consequence, the relationship between states play essential role in international law. Some phenomenons in international legal system today cannot be explained only from legal perspective like the activities of the UN, humanitarian intervention, etc.

This is why I became interested in historical and political study. To put more details of how historical and political backgrounds are useful in studying international law, the establishment of International Criminal Court can be raised. This court has been created to deal with war crimes after WWII so understanding world history of genocide and the political background at that time is inevitable.

1 comment:

  1. Cool!
    I love studying History, too.
    Normally, I focus on Asian historical events.
    Have you ever watched movies about WWII?
    I always feel sad for those innocent people who died.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.