Tuesday 9 June 2015

Peter's academic interests - Part 2

I started blogging on this topic this morning in my session with group 1 (here), and since it would be a waste of time, and boring, to just repeat that, I'll continue from when I started at university.

So, as I wrote in my earlier blog post today, I fell in love with science and mathematics in high school. I actually hated English, although I enjoyed some of the things we read: Patrick White, Shakespeare, and so on. In fact, now that I think about it, reading for pleasure, I mean reading fiction ,has always been an interest. I think it counts as academic: literature is studied at university, and in my academic career at university, I read some great literature in the languages I studied. But I never studied English at university.

Following my high school passions, I began university with majors in mathematics and physics. But in first year, I began to have doubts. I kept reading philosophy, and my mathematical interests also moved in that direction, more and more towards logic and the foundations of mathematics. When I switched in second year to a philosophy major, it surprised a few people, but seemed perfectly natural to me. I kept the physics and mathematics, but added a couple of long dead languages to my studies.

And now I'm just about ready to start writing about my academic interests today, which is long past my university days.

Coming soon - in my session with Group 3 after lunch.
Mmmm ... .lunch.

1 comment:

  1. you said you hate English, but why you like to read novels. Because I also don't like to learn language subjects, I don't quite like to read books or novels.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.