Wednesday 10 June 2015

Piano notes improvisation

   First, I brainstorm ideas of how to improvise. For instance, I might change the key of the song to be matched with singers, or change music style, or use complicated techniques to make the song feel different from the old version. If there is a point that I would like to change, I will listen to the original song and compare to other people's improvisation to get ideas of what should be rearranged into my style.
   Second, I organize ideas I need to improvise notes using simple tools: music player, hard copy of original notes, piano or keyboard, and a pencil. For example, I use music player or the piano to play the original song and other versions while I look at the hard copy notes. At the same time, I judge the ideas from personal confidence and appropriation.
   To draft my improvised note version, I roughly mark parts on the hard copy of the song that should add more color. For example, mostly, the parts that should be rearranged are originally flat or simple. Then, I use a pencil to circle the parts that should be improvised and think about the techniques I should use in each part. After that, I play the improvised version based on the draft I marked on the copy and listen to it at the same time.
   Next, I review my piano notes by playing the version I have written again and listening to it at the same time to make sure that notes cover all melodies in the songs. Metronome is used to conduct the rhythm of the song that it is accurate.
   Following this, I revise my piano notes by adding some twists to the song if it is quite boring to surprise others and to make it as my own signature. For example, I love to use major7 chord to make the ending of the song to be a bit sad and questioning instead of perfect ending which audiences feel it is perfectly end. It is one of the technique to make a song feel more like jazz music.
   Finally, I am ready to publish my improvised piano notes. I play it and record for my friends to listen and give hard copy to my students who want to play. I keep the hard copy in the file, scan it into soft copy, and share it on my social networks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.