Wednesday 14 May 2014

Bugs Save the World

Have you ever tried some insect? In Thailand, you always see some of the insect booths around. Some people think that insect eating is disgusting because of the legs, wings and their exoskeleton that gives weird crunchy feeling. However, most people don’t know that the insects have more protein and micro-nutrients than beef and pork. Maybe this is the time we should change our perspective about insect eating and encourage people to try it.

According to “It's Time to Eat Insects,” Arnold van Huis, an entomologist, is organizing the first international conference about insect eating and how this can save the world hunger. This meeting will be the gathering of people in this specialized field from all over the world.

First, insects are all around the world. They are almost 75% of the entire animal on the planet. They have higher reproduction rate, require less feeding and produce less methane gas. Because they are cool-blooded, they don't require much feeding to maintain their temperature like livestock. Now, insect farming is now an interesting option for feeding country with starvation. Furthermore, I have read a reply by our brother P about the artificial meat synthesis in "Meaty Matters: Must We Obey Law?" Could we synthesis the artificial meat from the insects? It may be the way to create more food for people in poor country with the reduced cost.

Second, they have a lot of protein and micronutrients. The Mexican grasshopper called Chapuline has protein content about 35-48 grams per 100 grams of fresh weight. In the other hand, cattle have protein content about 19-26 grams per 100 grams, less than Chapuline. The insects also provide essential fatty acid that is important for children and infant development. Moreover, they have more micronutrients than beef and pork, such as calcium, iron, and zinc, because of their exoskeleton. In the developing countries, they tend to have micronutrient deficiencies. It is the major cause of health problem, mentally and physically. These problem can be solve if we can introduce the insect eating trends into those countries.

However, there are still some problem about insect eating. It is the common problem for everything that has protein in it, the allergy. Ingestion of insect may induce the allergies in people who have allergic history. It is still debatable that cooking and boiling will destroy the allergic components, as protein is normally denatured when heated.

We have eaten insects since prehistoric time, though some society distaste it. But now, we know that it is a very efficient alternative way to reduce world hunger and starvation, so we need to encourage people to look at the another bright side. To make this come true, we still need a lot of work from everyone. This is only our first step into the future.
__________
References
Cressey, D., Nature Magazine. It's Time to Eat Insects. (2014, May 9). Scientific American. Retrieved May 13, 2014 from http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-eat-insects/

Huis et al. (2013). Edible Insect: Future Prospects For Food and Feed Security. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. 67-89. Retrieved May 13, 2013 from FAO website: http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3253e/i3253e.pdf

6 comments:

  1. A nice relaxing blog post to come home to after a very busy week - food seems a popular topic.

    When I first came to Thailand, the stalls selling a variety of insects on the streets did fascinate me. In fact, they fascinated enough that I tried some fried grass hoppers. They were OK because they sort of look like French fries if you don't look closely, and in my culture, they aren't seen as "dirty" insects like some others. They tasted - of nothing much except the pepper that was added, and the cooking oil. And they were crunchy like French fries. I haven't been tempted to make them a regular part of my diet, or even to try them again.

    And some years ago now, when I was in Sukothai visiting the home of a Thai friend, the family went ant hunting one day. The resulting soup made with the large larvae of the ants was very tasty - I wouldn't mind trying that again, but I don't know where to buy ant larvae soup in Bangkok. Does anyone know?

    When another friends offered me first go at the large spider from his parents' rice field, I had to decline.

    After my revivifying afternoon coffee, some bread and cheese sounds nice right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I have never tried ant larvae soup.

      Delete
  2. I like your idea to create food from insects. However, I think that not only the allergy caused by eating insects might be the big problem but I think that some cultures might not accept it. For example, do you believe that people from the civilization will eat food made from “cockroach”?

    Anyway, when I was a child, I had a chance to eat “fried worms”. Although the taste is not bad, its shape is disgusting. I needed a lot of time to prepare myself before eating it. However, after the first time I had it, I don’t need time to prepare myself anymore. Perhaps, I already like its taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to opt out of the cockroach burgers in advance.

      It's interesting: in my mind, I seem to discriminate amongst different insects into something like those in clean and unclean groups. But is this mere speciesism, as Law might call it? I have no idea whether cockroaches are in fact any less clean than ants. Does anyone have expert knowledge on this? I could do some Google research, but I've just finished my reviews of your paragraphs and I think I deserve to relax with something a bit mindless.

      Delete
    2. In my opinion, cockroach is unclean. It has a lot of bacteria in every parts of its body because it feeds and lives on dirty area such as sewage, which is full of germs. On the other hand, If cockroach is clean, it would be good choice of insect industry because you don't have to feed them much, and the don't die easily. Have you ever heard that a very tiny bit of human earwax can keep cockroach live for month?

      Delete
  3. Your article reminds me that I have read a story which a main actress loved to eat Bamboo Caterpillar very much. She described how delicious of this food is, crispy, yummy, and she could not stop eating. It makes me want to try some, but in Bangkok I always seen it at street booths. I do not dare to eat because of the cleanness. But I promise myself one day I will eat it for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.