Tuesday 20 May 2014

Mega Floods

Had you  ever experienced a flood once in your life? I think many of you say "Yes".  Mega Floods in 2011 still fresh in our memory , I too. I still remembered the day that our family move all our stuff to the second floor in late 2011. This fresh experience maybe help us to understand the feeling of the Bosnian and the Serbs now.  

Bosnia '14
According to Balkan floods: 'Quarter of Bosnia' without clean water, In Bosnia, the flood that cased by the largest rainfall in 120 years now caused death of at least 35 people, destroyed 100,000 house and leaved 4 million people living without clean water. In Serbia, the flood wave is threatening the nation's largest power plant cause government to construct the sandbag-made flood barriers and evacuated a town nearby.
Thailand '11

Of course, this news remind me of 2011 Mega Flood in Thailand Which all of us somehow effected by. 2011 was and year of a general election that was held on an early rainy season. I suspect that all of us were focus on the politics and ignore "The enemy  outside the gate" , the flood. I , like all of street walking Thais, never informed by the media about the water situation until it's too late. The point that the media start to be serious is when Bang Chom Sri Flood gate was destroyed by the flood water. Then the flood start to strike the Chao Praya basin provinces. Until it hit Industrial Regions in Ayuthaya, I still think that Bangkok will be OK. Before the Industrial Regions fell to the army of water, Government said that the situation is under control 3 days later Industrial Regions fell. Then the army of flood water marched headed for the capital, Bangkok. Bangkokians braced for the worse by buying food such as Instant Noodle or Canned food, until many Superstores runs out of goods, and park their car on the road viaducts to prevent their car to being flooded. The water's army penetrate the Government's "Big Bag" and hit Donmeung Airport, the headquarters of Disasters Prevention Center. It stoped at Chatuchak Park in the Northern part of the City. Luckily my the army didn't invade my house.

My life also got related to this disaster. My family move all of movable stuff up to the second floor and rise all of unmovable furniture. I spend most of my days watching TV ,especially Spring News and Thai PBS, to keep updated on the situation and to listen to expert's analysis. I also talk too much on phone to my friend who got stuck in his home in the North of Bangkok and my phone bills drastically raised. On that time, I was a part of an Army Reserve Force Student, the military youth organization that was attended by most Thai male High Schoolers. The training was  canceled and the Solider make the students pack the Survival Kit for the Flood Victims instead.

Today I won't discuss too much on serious things such as an Economic Effects but I have to say that I think that this flood cause by mismanagement and they could make it not this worse. This flood made me experience the power of the Mother Nature and Mismanagement  in a first hand experience.

Where were you during the Flood? Did your house got invaded by the Water's Army. Please fell free to share your experience during the 2011 Mega Floods in the comment section. I hope there will be a lot of it.              

    
__________
Reference
Balkan floods: 'Quarter of Bosnia' without clean water. (2014, May 19). BBC News  Europe.  Retrieved May 20 , 2014 from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27477593

3 comments:

  1. The thing I always remember is my mother calling my brother to tell him to call me to find out if the crocodiles that had escaped were a threat.

    Very boringly, I had to report that I had seen no crocodiles swimming past my condo. building on Silom Road, although asparagus and a couple of other favourite veggies did disappear form Tops supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can memorize this situation thoroughly. My home is in Don-Mueang which is near to Royal Thai Air Force Headquarters and Don Mueang International Airport that are the important place for our country, so we ware sure that not only the government sector,but also the private sector will help us the best. But the unbelievable thing happened, this big flood invaded around Don-Mueang. My family faced the problem because it was late to move the furnitures. however, we walked through around 1.2m water level with the bags of clothes and something that is necessary, then went to Pak-Chong which is another home. I spent most of day for watching and reading the news about this flood. After the situation was better, I came back home but unfortunately, everything was damaged, so we decided to destroy the old house and built a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flood didn't cause me so much damage because I lived in Phuket that time. But you know, Phuket has a flood, too. You might be surprised because Phuket is an island, so the water can flow to the sea easily. It doesn't suppose to have a flood. But it has, I still think that it is the bad sewage planning of the local government.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.