Monday 12 May 2014

How does your culture score? Quest, p. 24, x. E.

After a little more thought, I've revised my idea as to how we might most usefully discuss the questions in Hartmann's exercise E. on page 24 (2007).

The two questions that Hartmann asks us to discuss are:
  1. Was your country listed in the chart on page 20? If so, do you think the scores are accurate? If not, what scores would you give your country for each area? ("dimension"): power distance, individualism, uncertainty avoidance and masculinity?
     
  2. How well to you "fit" into your culture? In other words, are you happy with the values of your culture? Would you prefer to see some different scores on the chart? (For example, someone from the United States might say, "I would prefer to see a lower score for individualism in my country. I think it's important to be part of a group.") 
Rather than following Hartmann's suggestion to discuss these questions in small groups in class, we are going to do it here. 

And we already know from the spread of answers to our quick survey (summary graphs below, table here) that there will be some disagreement, especially on at least one of Hofstede's measured dimensions of culture, so you might like to give some support for your ideas in your response. My scores of 8 and 7 respectively are included in the bar graphs, but excluded from the Thai averages.
On a scale of 1 - 10, how important is being a member of a group or being an individual?
Thai average for class = 47/100
 

On a scale of 1 - 10, how important are relationships with others or success in business?
Thai average for class = 49/100  

Finally, if you have not already read it, I would recommend Ball's very timely blog post of this morning, in which he discusses the survey results by relating them to a recent New Scientist article, with some very useful cautions on the use of the statistics of our small group (Kertkeidkachorn, 2014). 


__________
Reference
Hartmann, P. (2007). Quest 2 Reading and Writing (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.

Kertkeidkachorn, N. [MeaW Natthawut]. (2014, May 12). The analysis of our survey [Blog post]. Class blog - AEP at AUA. Retrieved May 12, 2014 from http://peteraep.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-analysis-of-our-survey.html

18 comments:

  1. I don't think the score is accurate. I think Thai people are more individualism than that score because the new generation people start to be more independent but the other score is accurate for me because the power distance are very high in real life. I would prefer to see the lower power distance and higher individualism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can fit in in business relationship with others in Thailand. The number is 34, I think not quite much to do business. It's seem that people concern one's ability or individual success. Actually, I

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my view point, i prefer Hofstede's survey, because this survey covers many people. for example, there are only 15 people were surveyed, and they are in AEP class. in other words, most of them are student who plan to study abroad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Hofstede's score for Thai culture because of the fact that Thai culture is Group-orientated and Emphasize more on relationship. Thai has the word "Kreng Jai" which mean and consideration of your act ,so Thai people don't complain or criticize someone directly. Thai people also worry about how their reputation in the group will be when the do something.

    I think that I am well-fitted to my Thai culture because I tend to consider much on groups more that myself which sometime cause problems on me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion, I think that Hofstede's scores about Thailand is accurate. His scores were very closely to mine. I voted Thailand's individualism 3 and masculinity 4 out of 10. I also think that Thailand's power distance is 6 and uncertainly avoidance is 8, which have slightly differences from Hofstede's score.

    I'm not very happy in Thailand's culture, especially in

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thailand was listed in the chart on page 20. I think the scores are not accurate. In my opinion, Thailand would rather reach over 40 in individualism

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the scores represent Thais very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the score that Hofstede gives my country is correct and I agree with that. As you see in our surway, most of us agree that in Thai culture, people prefer to be in a group more than working alone. In my opinion, it is good to work with a group sometimes because it's easy to make a discussion and to find the best choice. However, I think the score isn't fit into my culture. People should have more confidence about themselve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that the scores are approximately similar to my mind but with a little bit difference. I would give the score each area equal 80, 30, 70 and 40 responding to power distance, individualism, uncertainly avoidance and masculinity respectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the second question, I think that I’m quite fit to my culture. In my opinion, the way that I was raised is the one factor that makes me feel comfortable and happy with it.

      By the way, I think it would be better if the power of distance's score will slightly decreased because I feel like in case that only a single person who has to take any kind of responsibilities to decide something will cause some risks and problems for persons who think in different the way, so I think it’s important to any need to share their responsibility not only one person.

      Delete
  10. I think I'll give power distance, individualism, uncertainty avoidance and masculinity for 80,20,60 and 80 respectively for my country. However, I think I don't fit well with my culture. This doesn't mean I'm not one of the majority in Thailand right now but it means I want to change myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. as a result of my country score got 64 in both uncertainty avoidance and Power Distance, 20 in individualism and 34 in masculinity.i think score mention to Thai is correct because Thai people like to work as group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the scores are not so accurate. I would give Power Distance, Individualism, Uncertainty Avoidance, and Masculinity with 80, 30, 50, and 55 respectively. I'm not too fit into my culture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, my country was listed in the chart on page 20. I think the scores in this chart isn't accurate in my opinion.According to the chart, Power Distance is 64, Individualism is 20, Uncertainty Avoidance is 64 and Masculinity is 34.I think for the Power Distance the scores should be more than 64 because in Thai society, there are various difference between people and also be wide reign.

    I think it fits to my culture.I think Power Distance must be more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my opinion, Hofstede's score is correct about Thailand individualism. Thais prefer to work in group activities and check their decision with other people. I prefer to work as a group, because i'm not have confident in myself, i have to check my idea if it is correct or not. Sometime working in a group might have more successful rate. About Thailand masculinity in my opinion, Thais choose relationships with other people to be more important than success in business.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Firstly, I think Hofstede's Thailand score is quite inaccurate. As we can see from our survey, most students in our class gave 4 for the first question, which is Group-Individual. That means most of us believe that Thai people prefer to

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the scores are not accurate. I would give Power Distance because you have to respect your boss or high status.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.