Friday 23 May 2014

You, Me, Privacy for us.

I believe that everyone has secret corner in their lives, sometimes you want to share your story or feeling to your friends, but what if our life has been stalked by someone? Will you still share your everyday life with the anonymous stalkers?
Facebook says it will push its users to do a privacy checkup periodically, perhaps once a year like a doctor’s physical.
According to "Some Privacy, Please? Facebook, Under Pressure, Gets the message", Facebook has just announced to checkup every users' privacy setting and control their private information which is conducted by a blue dinosaur cartoon. Furthermore, Facebook has a plan to buy WhatsApp to make more private social network as well.

As we're using social network, I think sharing or posting can be dangerous if you didn't set your privacy setting to share your post with only your friends. How can we share every moment with online strangers and let them know everything in our life?

I've used Facebook for many years. My posts are only shared with my friends except profile picture which is commonly share for everyone. But sometimes what I share can't be seen by everyone. I'm talking about funny thing which I always do, please tell me if anyone have ever done this before.

I'm friend with my mother and sister in Facebook, there's also my relatives as well, and when I have some secrets I can't tell them I'll click on custom privacy and except them for sharing my post such as when I fall for someone, I post love songs and add some caption that only me and my bestfriends know what I'm trying to say. Anyway, my crush can't see this so I still don't understand why do I post something like this if he won't know what I feel and no one will ever understand except me and my friends.

On the other hand, some posts are secretly share for only two persons which on one will know. That's not kind of romantic way but it makes thing more private and secure.

__________
Reference
Goel V., (2014, May 22). Some privacy, please? Facebook, under Pressure, gets the message. The New York times technology news. Retrieved May 23, 2014 from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/23/technology/facebook-offers-privacy-checkup-to-all-1-28-billion-users.html?ref=technology

6 comments:

  1. One of my nephews seemed bit embarrassed when I commented on the posts on his FB timeline from his girlfriend - her protestations of love were a bit mushy.

    They were harmless, but I think a good example of why some privacy is a very good thing, and why privacy should be respected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that privacy is important. However, I feel like most people might neglect to their privacy. I also quite believe that even though people set their privacy policy only first time they used, they might not checkup it again in their entire life. It’s a good thing if FB does that for us, isn’t?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I remembered, the privacy problem in FB rise when there cause a lot of problem like divorce because in the early period of FB, the privacy policy is not strong enough and what that you post or you were tagged can be easily seen by other people, especially your spouse. That cause a tough problem because you need to answer what does that post or that picture mean. To avoid that kind of problems, it’s about time we should care our privacy.

      Delete
  3. I set up Facebook years ago, but hardly ever use it.

    And as a private organization operating in a free market, I think Facebook should be free to make up whatever privacy and other policies it wishes. But it has to keep customers informed, and fulfil it's contractual promises - if not, the state (government) should be called in to force it to honour its contracts.

    It's like smoking in restaurants: provided the private property owner sets a clear policy of smoking or non-smoking, potential customers are then free to enter and eat or not. No one forces people who hate cigarette smoke (like me) to eat at places where it is allowed, and no one forces people who enjoy a cigarette with their meal to suffer by going to non-smoking restaurants. As usual, free markets offer more people more choice and are more respectful of human rights than the popular policy of banning smoking in all restaurants by use of government force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if the police or other government agencies want to look at someone's private Facebook posts, they should not be allowed to do that unless they get a court order for each case.

      Delete
  4. I think a lot of social community users give out too much of their information, maybe they sometimes forget it is still an internet. You might call it "Personal Wall Post," but it's still not personal. Such information like your birthday, your friends, your workplace, can be stole and used in the bad ways, like authorized credit cards or bank account. That's why I think they should be more careful about what they're going to tell the internet.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.