Tuesday 6 May 2014

Dancing at department store?

Over recent years, many countries around the world have realized racism issue as a major problem. They have launched a lot of campaigns against this problem. Although the number of this problem seems to be decreased, two racism events just happened in a major football competition during this week.

According to "Atletico Madrid fans accused of racist chants by Levante's Diop" (2014), Papakouly Diop, a footballer from Levante Football club, explained the reason why he was dancing during the match against Atletico Madrid that he didn't want to provoke Atletico Madrid supporters , he just want to retort the racist chant from them.

When I read this news while I was having a break during AUA class, they reminded me one of most frequent questions I always ask my friends who just came back from studying abroad."Is that true some locals might look down on Asian?" I heard that some people from developed countries are racists, and they sometimes look down on people who have different nationalities especially Asian, African etc. Most of my friends answered "Yes", but they said it rarely happened and they didn't face this problem by themselves. Anyway, one of my friends told me a story which occurred to his Chinese friend. While his Chinese friend was walking in a department store, he was cursed by a teenager folk. However, he did nothing, ignored them and kept shopping.

In my opinion, the most important thing about racism issue is not thinking how to solve the problem, but it is how to deal with it. Although I got some ideas from Papakouly Diop and Daniel Alves, I will not dance at department store for sure. 

__________
Reference
Atletico Madrid fans accused of racist chants by Levante's Diop. (2014, May 4). BBC Sport Football. Retrieved May 5, 2014 from http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27279997

7 comments:

  1. I had seen some headlines in the news about racism in football, but hadn't read the stories (why is this the right word?), so I didn't know what Diop did, but it sounds like a creative response to ugly behaviour.

    Unfortunately, I think that Ben is right, and at least some people in developed countries are racist. For example, when my cousin married a Nigerian she met when doing research in Africa, my uncle was so furious he almost refused to attend her wedding. And a couple of my aunts were a bit unpleasant about it. More generally, Australians sometimes complain about foreigners coming in and taking their jobs, and I think that is just ugly racism. Have more immigrants is usually good for an economy.

    But I think the percentages for racism are probably worse for less developed countries. As countries become more developed, better educated and more open people are less likely to be racist - or am I wrong?

    Other questions came to mind as I read Ben's post, but you might like to raise those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about crying when I read your post. Your post remind me how much I miss Martin Luther King because he protest racism. I dream that one day there will be no racism in this world include LGBT will be acceptance too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This news remind me that the topic of race and politics are always find their place in sports, just like thousand years ago in Byzantine Empire (Eastern Roman Empire) when people were obsessed with Chariot racing that involved politics. In AD 532, during the reign of Emperor Justinian I, the game erupted into an anti-Justinian riot which the historians called "Nika Riot". The riot almost made the Emperor fled the capital. It killed 30,000 Byzantinian and destroyed former " Hagia Sofia " caused the Emperor to build the new one which is now Sofia Mosque ,Istanbul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog post reminds me that my friend who is an exchange student in America told me the story about her Indian friend who is always persecuted by other boys.First time I heard this story,I surprised that they also have racism nowadays (in developed country) because many country don't worry about this,everyone is equal. I want this problem should be solved seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this problem still continues and it's very difficult to be solved. In Thailand, we still hear Thai people use the word "Lao" when they want to refer something outdated, so this issue remains in all around the world.

      Delete
  5. I had some experience with friends from the developed country. They didn't do anything wrong for me but I felt like they look down me. I don’t know why I feel that way. But when I reconsider again and again, I come up with one possibility that it might be the gap between my culture and their culture.

    Perhaps, I’m just simply thinking about it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your discussion here: as well as being an excellent example of response writing on a serious topic that is likely to come up if you study overseas, it also usefully foreshadows something we might read next week.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.